Honda PCX 125 Hybrid, first petrol-electric hybrid scooter to be launched in September 2018
Honda Motor will be the first manufacturer to launch a production hybrid scooter in the form of the PCX Hybrid on September 14, 2018. The Honda PCX petrol-electric hybrid will mark a major change in direction for two-wheelers across the globe. The Honda PCX 125 Hybrid scooter has been greenlighted for a Japan-only launch two months from now. It may subsequently be introduced in other international markets. However, it remains to be seen if the Honda PCX 125 in its hybrid form will reach India. It should be noted that Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) had showcased the PCX Electric scooter at the 2018 Auto Expo, earlier this year.
The Honda PCX 125 Hybrid comes powered the combination of a fuel-injected 125cc single cylinder petrol engine producing 12.1PS, and an electric motor producing 2PS, for a combined output of 14PS. The electric motor draws power from a 48-volt lithium battery, which activates it for up to 4 seconds when pulling away from standstill. This not only increases acceleration but also reduces the load on the petrol engine, thereby reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
The PCX 125 Hybrid is about 5kg heavier than the standard PCX 125. It packs its battery pack under the seat with a power drive unit (PDU) in the front storage. Visually it follows the same design as the Honda PCX 150 and also looks to have the same all-LED light setup. Honda will do an initial production run of 2,000 units with each scooter priced at 4,32,000 yen (Rs 2.67 lakh approximately).
- News2018 JK NRC: Karthik Tharani wins 2018 Euro JK 18 championship
- NewsMarc Marquez dominates Sunday morning warm-up at Valencia for 2018 MotoGP season finale
- NewsVinales secures pole position for 2018 MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Marquez qualifies fifth despite crash
- News2018 JK NRC: Nayan Chatterjee and Karthik Tharani take Euro JK 18 championship down to the wire
- Review2018 TVS Radeon road test review
- News2018 Mahindra Alturas G4: Preliminary image gallery
- NewsVinod Dasari resigns as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review
- NewsSpec comparo: Jawa vs Royal Enfield Classic 350
- NewsMercedes-Benz C-Class facelift petrol to launch in India by the end of 2018