Hondas CX-02 concept could be the next CB500X
Remember the Honda CX-02 concept that was showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo? Well, if current developments are anything to go by, Honda may just get the bike into production. And if it does, the CX-02 could be the all-new CB500X.
Honda has just filed a few patents for a bike that bears similar design cues to the CX-02 concept. It must be noted that the concept bike at the Expo was built by Honda's R&D arm in India. At the Expo, Honda did not reveal any details about the bike or its mechanicals.
By patenting the design, Honda is ensuring that nobody copies the design which indicates the Japanese manufacturer has big plans for the bike.
Also, the CX-02 concept features inverted forks and radially mounted brake callipers which should make their way to the new CB500X too. It could also get an aluminium swing arm.
While the current CB500X has just received a few minor tweaks, the CX-02 based CB500X could be out in production form by 2018. However, at the Expo, we spoke to an official involved in developing the concept bike, and we found that the bike can be put into production quite quickly.
The adventure bike segment in India is doing quite well, evident from the number of Triumph Tigers and Kawasaki Ninja 650s that dot our roads. KTM is also rumoured to be in the process or developing a Duke 390 based adventure bike.
If Honda decides to cater to the segment, the new CB500X could go on sale in India. It's highly probable, and we have our fingers crossed.
Starts Rs 5,49,000
- ReviewComparison test: 2020 Audi A6 45 TFSI vs 2019 Mercedes-Benz E 200 LWB
- NewsBentley Continental GT Pikes Peak launched to celebrate record run, limited to 15 units
- NewsHusqvarna Svartpilen 250, Vitpilen 250 unveiled - India launch in 2020
- NewsKTM 390 Adventure officially unveiled in India - alongside KTM 790 Adventure
- NewsHyundai to invest $52bn over six years in R&D, electrification, autonomous tech and flying cars