Hyundai and Ford will likely face production disruptions as TN goes into lockdown again
As Tamil Nadu announced that the capital city of Chennai and certain other districts will return to a 'full lockdown' with effect from June 19-30, it's all but a given that Hyundai and Ford, with plants on the outskirts of the city, will face disruptions in production, perhaps even needing to temporarily shut factory doors once again pending further clarification.
The areas that will go under this full lockdown include Chennai, Kanchipuram, Chengalpattu and Tiruvallur districts. Hyundai's plant in Sriperumbedur falls under the Kanchipuram district, while Ford's plant in Maramalai comes under the jurisdiction of the Chengalpattu district, and will likely have to adhere to the strict lockdown rules.
According to guidelines issued by the TN state government, movement of all taxis and private vehicles will be banned, with exceptions for essential healthcare services and freight transport. However, it is reported that continuous processing industries will be allowed to function, and industrial workers will be allowed to work in the units but will have to stay in the units or adjoining areas, basis stringent testing (rRT-PCR), since everyday travel is not permitted. We await further information from the manufacturers which stand to be affected by the lockdown.
- FeaturesCounter to COVID - MTDC flags-off its motorhome and campervan
- NewsExclusive Mini Convertible Sidewalk Edition launched at Rs 44.9 lakh
- NewsRenault Kwid Neotech edition launched in India, prices start from Rs 4.30 lakh
- NewsUpcoming Tata Altroz turbo-petrol specs and prices leaked ahead of launch
- NewsFirst-ever Hyundai i20 N Line revealed, with same mechanicals but sportier looks