Hyundai Creta rivaling MG RX5 SUV spotted testing in India
The MG RX5 SUV has been stopped testing in India under heavy camouflage. The RX5 is an SUV in the mould of the Hyundai Creta and Mahindra XUV500, when launched it should also be priced along these lines.
From the versions already on sale in the Middle East, Brazil and China, the MG RX5 gets a very European look to its front fascia with LED DRLs and a chrome grille having horizontal slats.
However, the version seen in India seems to be a facelift given the larger V-shaped grille. The overall design is subdued and only subtle smooth lines can be found all around the car. A prominent shoulder-line brings some excitement when looking at the car in profile. The rear gets an elegantly detailed tail-lamp cluster.
The interior gets a dual-tone layout, with the dash design and air vents being somewhat Volvo-esque. The SUV should be equipped with a feature list much like its peers when it comes to India. This means a digital instrument cluster, infotainment with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, tyre pressure monitoring, hill descent control, cruise control and a panoramic sunroof.
Middle-Eastern market model for representation
In the Middle-East, the MG RX5 gets two engine options. A 1.6-litre turbo petrol with 168PS and 250Nm and a 2.0-litre turbo petrol with 220Ps and 350Nm. Transmission options are a 6-speed auto for the larger engine and a 7-speeder for the 1.6. All-wheel drive is available on the top-spec 2.0-litre car. However, the Indian-spec car should be powered by a diesel motor of similar power output.
SAIC-owned MG Motor is investing Rs 5,000 crores in the country over the next six years and plans to launch one new model each year up to 2021. It will be manufacturing its products at the old GM plant in Halol, Gujarat and will incorporate a high level of localisation into its products-up to 80 per cent. It recently held dealer roadshows to build up a strong network before starting full-fledged operations.
The MG RX5 SUV is likely being considered for an Indian launch to be one of the six models the company launches here.
Spy Image source: Team-BHP
Starts Rs 9.44 Lakhs
Starts Rs 12.39 Lakhs
- News2018 Drag Racing: Hemant Mudappa claims three two-wheeler titles
- News2018 INMRC: Jagan Kumar widens lead in the Super Sport category
- NewsLive updates: Vazirani Shul electric hypercar showcased in India
- NewsMaserati Ghibli Ribelle is an all-black limited edition offering for the EMEA markets
- News2018 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 twin and Interceptor 650 twin prices out!
- NewsIsuzu D-Max V-Cross facelift spotted testing in India
- NewsTriumph India to launch six new motorcycles by June 2019
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq RS interiors revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show debut
- NewsLive Updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 global launch
- NewsTriumph India to launch Scrambler 1200 in January 2019, 5 other launches by June