Hyundai Creta rivaling MG RX5 SUV spotted testing in India
The MG RX5 SUV has been stopped testing in India under heavy camouflage. The RX5 is an SUV in the mould of the Hyundai Creta and Mahindra XUV500, when launched it should also be priced along these lines.
From the versions already on sale in the Middle East, Brazil and China, the MG RX5 gets a very European look to its front fascia with LED DRLs and a chrome grille having horizontal slats.
However, the version seen in India seems to be a facelift given the larger V-shaped grille. The overall design is subdued and only subtle smooth lines can be found all around the car. A prominent shoulder-line brings some excitement when looking at the car in profile. The rear gets an elegantly detailed tail-lamp cluster.
The interior gets a dual-tone layout, with the dash design and air vents being somewhat Volvo-esque. The SUV should be equipped with a feature list much like its peers when it comes to India. This means a digital instrument cluster, infotainment with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, tyre pressure monitoring, hill descent control, cruise control and a panoramic sunroof.
Middle-Eastern market model for representation
In the Middle-East, the MG RX5 gets two engine options. A 1.6-litre turbo petrol with 168PS and 250Nm and a 2.0-litre turbo petrol with 220Ps and 350Nm. Transmission options are a 6-speed auto for the larger engine and a 7-speeder for the 1.6. All-wheel drive is available on the top-spec 2.0-litre car. However, the Indian-spec car should be powered by a diesel motor of similar power output.
SAIC-owned MG Motor is investing Rs 5,000 crores in the country over the next six years and plans to launch one new model each year up to 2021. It will be manufacturing its products at the old GM plant in Halol, Gujarat and will incorporate a high level of localisation into its products-up to 80 per cent. It recently held dealer roadshows to build up a strong network before starting full-fledged operations.
The MG RX5 SUV is likely being considered for an Indian launch to be one of the six models the company launches here.
Spy Image source: Team-BHP
Starts Rs 9.44 Lakhs
Starts Rs 12.39 Lakhs
- NewsSavita Oil Technologies to supply Tata Motors with original oils
- NewsMahindra Treo electric three-wheeler range with lithium-ion battery pack launched in India at Rs 1.36 lakh
- NewsImage gallery: Jawa and Jawa Forty Two launched in India
- NewsJawa Motorcycles launches the Jawa and Jawa Forty Two at Rs 1.64 lakh and Rs 1.55 lakh
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Motorcycles all-new range launched in India
- NewsNew-gen Maruti Suzuki Ertiga starts arriving at dealerships ahead of launch
- NewsMahindra to launch new Treo electric three-wheeler today
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 road test review
- NewsLive updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 launched in India at Rs 2.50 lakh, Continental GT 650 at Rs 2.65 lakh