Hyundai Creta-rivaling Skoda Kamiq to debut at Beijing Auto show
Spy images have emerged online of the Chinese-market Skoda Kamiq SUV. The Kamiq is based on the international market Rapid and is similar in size and specification to the Hyundai Creta. The car is to launch in China later this year and will sit below the Karoq in its SUV line-up.
The car will be unveiled at the upcoming Beijing auto show and features a design closely reminiscent of the Kodiaq. The Kamiq is differentiated by a less detailed design with simpler projector headlamps and taillamps, a smaller Skoda butterfly grille and less contoured bumpers with in-built LED DRLs. This simplistic interpretation of the Skoda SUV design language also carries over to the rear. The car also looks more rounded off when seen in profile alongside its European stablemates. The interior also follows the design theme of the Skoda SUV line-up with a contoured dash, vertical AC-vents and a touchscreen infotainment in the middle. The steering wheel, instrument cluster, door trim and gear lever all seem to come from the Skoda parts bin.
Mechanically, the car is expected to be powered by a 1.5-litre naturally aspirated petrol motor which puts out 108PS. The Kamiq is slightly longer than 4m in length and is built by Shanghai-VW. While there is no news of the Kamiq coming to India, this SUV could fill a gap in Skoda's line-up in India. The car can be positioned below the upcoming Karoq and could be a viable alternative to the Hyundai Creta and lower-spec Jeep Compass models, although we understand that India might get a country-specific small SUV. The Kamiq is expected to be priced from RMB 90,000 or Rs 9.39 lakh when launched in China.
Starts Rs 9.5 Lakhs
Starts Rs 15.35 Lakhs
- NewsIndian FTR 1200 launched in India at Rs 14.99 lakh, deliveries April 2019 onwards
- NewsLive updates: 2019 India-spec Nissan Kicks
- NewsImage gallery: India-spec 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV interior
- News2019 Honda CB1000R+, Gold Wing Tour DCT, CBR1000RR Fireblade and CBR1000RR Fireblade SP launched in India
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Racing M5Electro Formula E electric race car
- NewsMahindra Racing's M5Electro Formula E electric race car debuts in India ahead of 2019 season opener
- NewsSkoda India to hike prices across range from January 1, 2019
- NewsMaruti Suzuki registers five lakh cumulative CNG vehicle sales in India
- NewsTeams from Varanasi, Delhi and Vellore win Shell Eco Marathon India
- NewsMcLaren 720S Spider convertible revealed, locks horns with Ferrari 488