Hyundai i20 hatchback crosses the 13 lakh sales mark worldwide
Hyundai Motor India Limited recently announced that its Hyundai i20 premium hatchback had crossed the 13 lakh sales mark globally. Of this, 8.5 lakh units have been sold in India itself.
The hatchback is currently in its second generation, with the first gen car having been launched in 2008. The i20 scored a five-star euro NCAP rating in 2009. The second generation car debuted in 2014 in India and crossed the one lakh domestic sales mark in 15 months in 2015. The i20 nameplate crossed its global 10 lakh sales mark in 2016.
The i20 remains a big success for Hyundai and is one of the handful of cars in the country which has managed to breach the 10,000 units per month sales mark.
The facelifted second gen i20 launched in 2018 at the Auto Expo. The hatchback comes in two engine options. The petrol motor is a 1.2 litre unit which makes 83PS and 115Nm. This is paired with a five-speed manual or CVT gearbox. The diesel is a 1.4-litre turbocharged unit which makes 90PS/220 Nm. This is mated to a six speeder.
Commenting on this achievement, Vikas Jain, the assistant vice president for national sales at Hyundai Motor India said, "We are extremely delighted with this unprecedented milestone that i20 models have achieved of 1.3 Million global sales and have met the aspirations of Indian and Global customers. The i20 established the Premium Compact Segment and has been a stellar brand that personifies Hyundai's Modern Premium positioning. It has set new benchmarks in the Premium Compact segment and continues to dominate with its world class appeal, performance and looks."
Starts Rs 7.35 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.38 Lakhs
Team OD | 11 Jan 2019
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Omni to be phased out by mid-2019
- News2019 Mahindra XUV300 SUV to launch in India on February 14
- News2019 BMW R 1250 GS and R 1250 GSA ADV to be launched in India on January 18
- NewsMahindra Electric launches NEMO Life mobile app for EVs
- NewsBMW 7 Series facelift debuts in China, gets a 40 per cent larger grille!
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani