Hyundai India to launch new compact SUV in 2019
Hyundai India has announced that it will launch a new, sub-4 metre compact SUV in the first half of 2019. At the 2016 Auto-Expo Hyundai had displayed a concept compact SUV, designated as Hyundai Carlino. The production variant will be loosely based on this concept, however, it won't carry the same name.
This was revealed by Y.K. Koo, MD and CEO, Hyundai Motor India Limited, yesterday at the launch of the new Hyundai Verna.
The upcoming compact SUV will lock horns with the likes of the Maruti Vitara Brezza and the Ford EcoSport. It is expected to be powered by a 1.0 litre T-GDi turbo-petrol producing 120PS and 117Nm, which will most likely be made by Hyundai India locally. Accompanying the turbo-petrol will be Hyundai's naturally-aspirated 1.2 litre Kappa petrol, that produces 84PS and 117Nm. Diesel variants will be powered by the 1.4 litre U2 CRDi motor that produces 90PS of power and 224Nm of torque.
Media reports suggest that about 60 per cent of the compact SUV's R&D will be carried out in India. In addition, Hyundai is also working on a low-cost AMT technology, expected to be introduced next year, which might make its way to this SUV as well. This Carlino-derived SUV could play an important role in helping Hyundai compete in this extremely popular segment, that currently is dominated by the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza
Starts Rs 7.69 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.92 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.39 Lakhs
- NewsPorsche Macan S officially teased on the social network - India launch expected soon
- NewsArjun Maini to make two-race Formula 2 comeback with Campos Racing
- NewsUpcoming 2020 Land Rover Defender SUV revealed in profile in spy shots
- News5 things to expect from the upcoming BSVI Royal Enfield Classic
- NewsTata Altroz hatchback teased ahead of its official India launch