Hyundai India to launch new compact SUV in 2019
Hyundai India has announced that it will launch a new, sub-4 metre compact SUV in the first half of 2019. At the 2016 Auto-Expo Hyundai had displayed a concept compact SUV, designated as Hyundai Carlino. The production variant will be loosely based on this concept, however, it won't carry the same name.
This was revealed by Y.K. Koo, MD and CEO, Hyundai Motor India Limited, yesterday at the launch of the new Hyundai Verna.
The upcoming compact SUV will lock horns with the likes of the Maruti Vitara Brezza and the Ford EcoSport. It is expected to be powered by a 1.0 litre T-GDi turbo-petrol producing 120PS and 117Nm, which will most likely be made by Hyundai India locally. Accompanying the turbo-petrol will be Hyundai's naturally-aspirated 1.2 litre Kappa petrol, that produces 84PS and 117Nm. Diesel variants will be powered by the 1.4 litre U2 CRDi motor that produces 90PS of power and 224Nm of torque.
Media reports suggest that about 60 per cent of the compact SUV's R&D will be carried out in India. In addition, Hyundai is also working on a low-cost AMT technology, expected to be introduced next year, which might make its way to this SUV as well. This Carlino-derived SUV could play an important role in helping Hyundai compete in this extremely popular segment, that currently is dominated by the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza
Starts Rs 7.67 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.8 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.26 Lakhs
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Hyundai Santro India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 bookings open in India
- NewsUpcoming Tata Harrier SUV undergoes handling tests in new video
- News2019 Yamaha FZ FI spotted testing in India
- NewsLimited-run Mini Cooper S Oxford Edition launched in India at Rs 44.90 lakh
- Review2018 Jaguar F-Type P300 R-Dynamic road test review
- NewsFCA launches Jeep Connect outlets in India.
- NewsNASCAR Whelen Euro Series 2018: Advait Deodhar wins the Elite Club championship
- NewsNew-gen Honda Amaze crosses 50,000 sales mark in five months in India
- NewsF1 2018: Kimi Raikkonen takes victory at US GP