Hyundai Ioniq to be showcased at the Auto Expo 2018
Hybrid cars seem to be the buzzword as numerous carmakers are working on developing cleaner, more efficient alternatives to the conventional options. In India, we already have the Toyota Prius, Camry Hybrid and Honda Accord Hybrid. And now Hyundai too will enter the bandwagon with the Ioniq hybrid.
The Korean car manufacturer recently confirmed its plan of bringing the Ioniq hybrid sedan to India. Internationally, the Ioniq is available in three versions - electric, plug-in hybrid and hybrid. However, we believe the hybrid model will debut in our shores next year. To position it competitively and price it aggressively, Hyundai will be looking at assembling the Ioniq in India, instead of importing as CBU. YK Koo, managing director of Hyundai Motor India, states that the only way of making hybrids successful in India is by achieving higher levels of localisation. The automobile brand is looking at pricing the Ioniq between Rs 25-30 lakh, making it more economical than its rivals, the Toyota Camry Hybrid and the Honda Accord Hybrid.
With that pricing and product positioning, the company also believes that it can sell 100 units per month, which is definitely an ambitious target for the automobile brand. This hybrid sedan made its global debut last year at the 2016 Geneva and New York auto shows. In its first year itself, the company has sold over 31,165 units.
It is powered by a 1.6-litre Kappa 4-cylinder Atkinson-cycle engine that makes 105PS and 148Nm. This motor is mated to a six-speed dual-clutch transmission. The electric motor puts out 32PS and produces a maximum torque of 169Nm. The motor is powered by a Lithium-ion polymer battery with 1.56kWh capacity.
Starts Rs 43.21 Lakhs
Starts Rs 29.75 Lakhs
Starts Rs 45.09 Lakhs
Team OD | 11 Jun 2018
- NewsImage gallery: BMW 8 Series coupe
- NewsApple hires former Waymo engineer for its self-driving car project Titan
- NewsBentley Bentayga Speed SUV will have more muscle and big change in its design
- NewsChevrolet to conduct Monsoon Service Camp across India
- NewsBMW takes the covers off the new 8 Series coupe
- News24 Hours of Le Mans 2018: Toyota finally win at the Circuit de la Sarthe
- FeaturesHappy Father's Day: Thank you for introducing me to the world of motorcycles
- FeaturesHappy Father's Day: My royal Enfield Bullet 350 is the essence of everything I remember my Dad for
- News24 Hours of Le Mans 2018: Kazuki Nakajima puts No.8 Toyota on pole