Hyundai Ioniq to be showcased at the Auto Expo 2018
Hybrid cars seem to be the buzzword as numerous carmakers are working on developing cleaner, more efficient alternatives to the conventional options. In India, we already have the Toyota Prius, Camry Hybrid and Honda Accord Hybrid. And now Hyundai too will enter the bandwagon with the Ioniq hybrid.
The Korean car manufacturer recently confirmed its plan of bringing the Ioniq hybrid sedan to India. Internationally, the Ioniq is available in three versions - electric, plug-in hybrid and hybrid. However, we believe the hybrid model will debut in our shores next year. To position it competitively and price it aggressively, Hyundai will be looking at assembling the Ioniq in India, instead of importing as CBU. YK Koo, managing director of Hyundai Motor India, states that the only way of making hybrids successful in India is by achieving higher levels of localisation. The automobile brand is looking at pricing the Ioniq between Rs 25-30 lakh, making it more economical than its rivals, the Toyota Camry Hybrid and the Honda Accord Hybrid.
With that pricing and product positioning, the company also believes that it can sell 100 units per month, which is definitely an ambitious target for the automobile brand. This hybrid sedan made its global debut last year at the 2016 Geneva and New York auto shows. In its first year itself, the company has sold over 31,165 units.
It is powered by a 1.6-litre Kappa 4-cylinder Atkinson-cycle engine that makes 105PS and 148Nm. This motor is mated to a six-speed dual-clutch transmission. The electric motor puts out 32PS and produces a maximum torque of 169Nm. The motor is powered by a Lithium-ion polymer battery with 1.56kWh capacity.
Starts Rs 43.21 Lakhs
Starts Rs 29.75 Lakhs
Starts Rs 44.07 Lakhs
- News2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado facelift launched in India at Rs 92.6 lakh
- News2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk SUV bookings open across India
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Desert Storm: A look back
- News2018 Ford EcoSport Titanium+ petrol with 5-speed manual option launched in India for Rs 10.47 lakh
- News2018 Yamaha Ray-ZR launched with four new colours in India at Rs 53,451
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 reach Australia for display, India launch later in 2018
- NewsMahindra Adventure season 8 calendar for 2018 announced
- News2018 Mahindra XUV500 facelift to be launched in April
- News2018 Honda CB Shine SP, Livo, and Dream Yuga commuter motorcycles launched in India
- News2018 Honda CBR250R launched in India at Rs 1.63 lakh