Hyundai Kona electric SUV to be initially sold through select dealerships in India
Hyundai is readying to enter the electric vehicle space in India and the model that will help the Korean car manufacturer do so is the all-electric Hyundai Kona SUV. While other manufacturers are still working on bringing out hybrids in India, Hyundai has already made it clear that it plans to launch pure EVs only. The Hyundai electric SUV, the Kona will be sold through select dealerships in India in the initial phase. These would mainly include the metropolitan cities in the country. The car manufacturer is also believed to be ramping up its post sales experience at various dealerships to further increase the brand's appeal. Hyundai will be retailing the electric SUV through its regular dealerships in India.
The Hyundai Kona electric SUV will be the first electric SUV in India. It is said that this SUV will offer a driving range second to none and will make long distance travelling possible too, something that has been a big hurdle for EVs in India.
The exterior styling of the electric Kona is similar to the combustion-engined version with the only difference being a closed-off grille, 17-inch alloy wheels and aerodynamically designed bumpers and spoiler
The Indian-spec car, expected in 2019, is set to be offered with the base 135PS, 300km range electric motor. The 39.5kWh lithium-ion battery pack this motor is paired with propels the electric Kona from 0 to 100kmph in 9.3s and onto a top speed of 167kmph, mainly due to its 395Nm of torque available from standstill. This battery can be fully charged in six hours or gain 80 per cent charge (240km range) in an hour with a fast charger. Reports suggest that the car could come in via the CKD route and be priced at around Rs 25 lakh.
When launched, the Kona electric will not have any direct rivals. It will instead compete in price with cars like the Jeep Compass, upcoming Honda CR-V, VW Tiguan and its own stablemate, the Hyundai Tucson. Hyundai will be hoping the Kona electric will attract buyers with its unconventional styling and due to a growth in interest in electric cars in the country.
Starts Rs 28.15 Lakhs
Starts Rs 18 Lakhs
Starts Rs 15.35 Lakhs
- NewsFAME 2: Electric 3- and 4-wheelers need to produce public transport permit to claim incentive benefits
- NewsJaguar Land Rover wins case against Jiangling Motors over Evoque copy
- NewsToyota Kirloskar Motor increases dependency on renewable sources of energy, results in 51,000 tons of Co2 reduction
- NewsPrices of Renault Kwid hatchback to be hiked by three per cent from April 1 2019
- NewsMaruti Suzuki's new six-speed transmission spotted
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip