Hyundai Nexo and Hyundai Kona awarded Red Dot design award
Two of Hyundai's recent international launches, the Hyundai Kona crossover and the Nexo hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle, have been felicitated by this year's Red Dot design awards. The Kona was recognized for its design and innovation in 'SUV/Off-road vehicles' and the Hyundai Nexo in the 'electric vehicles' categories.
The Red Dot awards are decided by a jury consisting of high profile designers, professors and journalists. The Red Dot design award is claimed to be the largest product design competition in the world, with the 2018 editions seeing entries from 59 countries.
The Hyundai Kona is a sub-compact crossover
Hyundai has seen success in this competition earlier as well, it was recognized in 2017 for the Hyundai Azera while the i30 was awarded an 'Honourable Mention'. In 2016, the Ioniq was recognized with the Sonata and i20 winning in 2015. The 2014 edition saw wins by the i10 and Genesis.
The Nexo uses a purpose-built FCEV platform. The benefits come in the form of a light construction, a powerful drivetrain, and a high driving range. The Nexo uses a 163PS electric motor and 156 litre hydrogen tanks that produce 400Nm of torque and a driving range of 800km.
The Hyundai Nexo is a hydrogen FCEV
The Kona is a distinctly styled compact crossover similar in size to the Indian market Creta. The car is available with a range of petrol and diesel options with the most familiar being the 1.6-litre diesel from the Verna. An electric version of this car is expected to be Hyundai's first all-electric car for the Indian market.
There has been a noticeable change in Hyundai's design philosophy in the past years, especially when compared to their older cars like the Santro and Accent. Their present cars look much more in line with current trends and are comparable in design to their European and Japanese counterparts. These award likely are a validation of the efforts Hyundai has taken in this direction.
- NewsJeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk can make 1,000PS+, ask Hennessey Performance
- NewsRange Rover Velar launched in Malaysia at RM529,800
- News2018 Merzouga Rally: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia ranked eighth overall after Stage 3
- NewsInterview: Gaurav Gill on competing in the WRC 2 championship with Team MRF in 2018
- NewsYamaha FZ 25 wins India Design Mark (I Mark) Awards 2018
- NewsBMW M2 Competition revealed with 405PS
- News2018 Ashok Leyland Annual Global Conference held in Chennai
- News2018 BMW X3 launched in India starting at Rs 49.99 lakh
- News2018 Mahindra XUV500 facelift: Top five things that you should know
- NewsOfficial: BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS bookings have NOT begun in India