Hyundai QXi sub-4m SUV spied testing, to rival Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, Tata Nexon
Hyundai Motor India had only recently announced that it is developing a new SUV, which has been codenamed QXi. Now, the Hyundai QXi sub-4m SUV, a rival for the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza and Tata Nexon, has been spotted undergoing testing for the first time. The test mule is completely camouflaged, giving away very little of its detail. But we do notice the resemblance to the outline of the Carlino concept, which was showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo.
As per a previous OVERDRIVE report, the compact SUV will make its debut in India by April 2019. The QXi will follow the as-yet-unnamed Hyundai Santro replacement which the company plans to reveal later this year. Both these compact vehicles will play a crucial role in Hyundai's campaign to reach the number 1 spot in the Indian market by 2020.
The production version of the Hyundai QXi SUV is expected to be exported in international markets as well. It is expected to be powered by a 1.0 litre T-GDi turbo-petrol producing 120PS and 117Nm, which will most likely be made by Hyundai India locally. Accompanying the turbo-petrol will be Hyundai's naturally-aspirated 1.2 litre Kappa petrol, that produces 84PS and 117Nm. Diesel variants will be powered by the 1.4 litre U2 CRDi motor that produces 90PS of power and 224Nm of torque.
Reports suggest that about 60 per cent of the compact SUV's R&D will be carried out in India. In addition, Hyundai is also working on a low-cost AMT technology, expected to be introduced next year, which might make its way to this SUV as well. This QXi SUV could play an important role in helping Hyundai compete in this extremely popular segment currently dominated by the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza.
Hyundai Carlino SUV concept
Starts Rs 7.26 Lakhs
Starts Rs 6.16 Lakhs
- News2018 Raid de Himalaya: Arindam Saikia of Team Polaris crowned overall winner
- News2019 Kawasaki Z650 launched in India at Rs 5.29 lakh
- FeaturesFHVI's Royal Classic Car Drive to Mysore
- NewsKymco enters the Indian electric scooter market with 22 Motors
- NewsMahindra TUV300 facelift in the works, launch next year
- NewsTata Harrier SUV pre-bookings open at Rs 30,000 across India
- NewsImage gallery: India-bound 2019 Yamaha YZF-R3
- NewsDucati Multistrada 1260 Enduro breaks cover
- News2019 Kawasaki Z900 launched in India at Rs 7.68 lakh, same price as earlier
- NewsEXCLUSIVE: KTM India set to launch 125 Duke in India next month?