Hyundai QXi sub-4m SUV spied testing, to rival Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, Tata Nexon
Hyundai Motor India had only recently announced that it is developing a new SUV, which has been codenamed QXi. Now, the Hyundai QXi sub-4m SUV, a rival for the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza and Tata Nexon, has been spotted undergoing testing for the first time. The test mule is completely camouflaged, giving away very little of its detail. But we do notice the resemblance to the outline of the Carlino concept, which was showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo.
As per a previous OVERDRIVE report, the compact SUV will make its debut in India by April 2019. The QXi will follow the as-yet-unnamed Hyundai Santro replacement which the company plans to reveal later this year. Both these compact vehicles will play a crucial role in Hyundai's campaign to reach the number 1 spot in the Indian market by 2020.
The production version of the Hyundai QXi SUV is expected to be exported in international markets as well. It is expected to be powered by a 1.0 litre T-GDi turbo-petrol producing 120PS and 117Nm, which will most likely be made by Hyundai India locally. Accompanying the turbo-petrol will be Hyundai's naturally-aspirated 1.2 litre Kappa petrol, that produces 84PS and 117Nm. Diesel variants will be powered by the 1.4 litre U2 CRDi motor that produces 90PS of power and 224Nm of torque.
Reports suggest that about 60 per cent of the compact SUV's R&D will be carried out in India. In addition, Hyundai is also working on a low-cost AMT technology, expected to be introduced next year, which might make its way to this SUV as well. This QXi SUV could play an important role in helping Hyundai compete in this extremely popular segment currently dominated by the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza.
Hyundai Carlino SUV concept
Starts Rs 7.26 Lakhs
Starts Rs 6.16 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.9 Lakhs
- News2019 Jawa Forty Two: Image Gallery
- News2019 Jawa: Image gallery
- NewsVolkswagen being investigated for selling pre-production cars to customers
- News50,000th BMW 310cc series motorcycle rolled out from Hosur plant
- News1,874 units of the Yamaha R3 recalled in India
- NewsThings to know about the 2019 Nissan Kicks India-spec SUV
- NewsTata Motors to increase prices by up to Rs 40,000 from January 1, 2019
- NewsTata Harrier SUV multi-city public preview to start form December 18
- NewsRefreshed 2019 BMW X1 SUV spotted testing in Europe
- NewsMahindra S201 sub-four-metre SUV nameplate to be revealed on December 19