Hyundai to launch Ioniq sedan in India, will be shown at Auto Expo 2018?
Earlier this year, we told you that Hyundai is planning to bring the Ioniq sedan to India. And we believe Hyundai might choose the 2018 Auto Expo as the ideal platform to showcase its Ioniq hybrid sedan to India. The Hyundai Ioniq will lock horns with the Toyota Prius, Camry Hybrid and Honda Accord Hybrid in the country. To position it competitively and price it aggressively, Hyundai will be looking at assembling the Ioniq in India, instead of importing as a CBU.
The Korean car manufacturer recently confirmed its plan of bringing the Ioniq hybrid sedan to India. Internationally, the Ioniq is available in three versions - electric, plug-in hybrid and hybrid. However, we believe the hybrid model will debut in our shores next year. To position it competitively and price it aggressively, Hyundai will be looking at assembling the Ioniq in India, instead of importing as CBU. YK Koo, managing director of Hyundai Motor India, states that the only way of making hybrids successful in India is by achieving higher levels of localisation. The automobile brand is looking at pricing the Ioniq between Rs 25-30 lakh, making it more economical than its rivals, the Toyota Camry Hybrid and the Honda Accord Hybrid.
With that pricing and product positioning, the company also believes that it can sell 100 units per month, which is definitely an ambitious target for the automobile brand. This hybrid sedan made its global debut last year at the 2016 Geneva and New York auto shows. In its first year itself, the company has sold over 31,165 units.
2017 IONIQ HEV
It is powered by a 1.6-litre Kappa 4-cylinder Atkinson-cycle engine that makes 105PS and 148Nm. This motor is mated to a six-speed dual-clutch transmission. The electric motor puts out 32PS and produces a maximum torque of 169Nm. The motor is powered by a Lithium-ion polymer battery with 1.56kWh capacity.
Starts Rs 43.21 Lakhs
Starts Rs 29.75 Lakhs
Starts Rs 45.09 Lakhs
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa
- NewsSuzuki Motorcycle India launches Helmet for Life road safety campaign
- NewsPorsche buys 10% stake in EV supercar-maker Rimac