Image gallery: Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 from EICMA 2015
The Husqvarna Vitpilen (White Arrow) came into the world wearing the engine from the Duke 390 as well as a black-out trellis frame. Obviously, we jumped for joy. Now, the Husqvarna Vitpilen gains a suffix - 701 - at the 2015 EICMA show in Milan. There is so much history and and so many linkages here! The Vitpilen and the Svartpilen (Black Arrow) are names that draw on Husqvarna's 1950's Sileerpilen (Silver Arrow). The 701 designation comes from the 701 Supermoto and Endure machines that share the engine with the KTM 690 SMC R and the Endure R. The name suggests that futuristic cafe racer that is the Vitpilen 701 and it will wear that same KTM-based engine as well.
The exciting news is that the 701 will go into production and then on sale and Husqvarna has also confirmed that the Vitpilen 401 with the KTM 390 engine and the Vitpilen 125 with the KTM 125 Duke engine will both also go into production. The 401 is set for spring 2017. Almost certainly, the 401 and 125 will be made at Chakan by Bajaj and the 125 will remain solely as an export product - the price will too high for the Indian market to absorb.
The Vitpilen 401 may have come first but the shocking Kiska design still stops you in the tracks
The simple, direct lines mated to the proportions and setup of a cafe racer make the Vitpilen an arresting sight
The little 701 in the daytime running lights looks tremendous! We do hope that it makes it to the production machine as well
Like at the front, the tail lamp also includes a neat 701 detail that looks lovely
The Vitpilen uses the 67PS 690cc engine from the KTM Endure 690 R. Not sure if the final bike will be in the same state of tune
Here is a closer look at the KTM-sourced 67PS single-cylinder engine that powers the Husqvarna Vitpilen 701
This incredibly detailed exhaust tip is unlikely to be on the production bike - but how desirable is that, eh?
The bike at the EICMA show did show off this cone-shaped air filter but you can bet that the production bike will be more practical
Just for reference, here is the Husqvarna Vitpilen (401) that came first. Notice how the lines remain similar but the 701 is definitely closer to production than this machine
Starts Rs 1,18,000
- NewsINRC 2018: Popular Rally in Kochi to see three-way champonship tussle
- NewsDucati enters pre-owned motorcycle segment in India with Ducati Approved
- FeaturesTata Harrier: Things you will like
- NewsMcLaren commissions six special edition cars to celebrate racing heritage
- FeaturesOverview: Tata Harrier's OMEGA architecture
- NewsBookings open for the 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV
- NewsJawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two video: Exhaust note, top speed, design and features explained
- ReviewJawa Jawa first ride review
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two ridden in India
- News2019 Yamaha Saluto RX 110, Saluto 125 UBS launched in India at Rs 52,000