Infiniti QX50 concept revealed ahead of 2017 Detroit Auto Show
Infiniti has revealed the QX50 Concept before its global premiere at the 2017 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The concept is a step-up from the 2016 QX Sport Inspiration which was unveiled at the 2016 Beijing Auto Show.
The Hong Kong-based carmaker claims that the concept shows what future Infiniti QX SUVs would look like. The QX50 Concept also previews Infiniti's autonomous driving technology and production-ready variable compression ratio engine.
With its autonomous technology, Infiniti wants to focus more on driver engagement wherein the drivers retain ultimate control over their vehicles. The company claims that its "autonomous drive technologies will act as a 'co-pilot' for the driver, empowering rather than replacing them, and 'delegate' more onerous driving tasks to the car such as navigating stop-start traffic on the highway or keeping track of the positions of surrounding vehicles".
Infiniti will also showcase its new VC-Turbo (Variable Compression Turbo) engine technology in Detroit. The company claims that its VC-Turbo engine comes with the power of a 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine and the torque and efficiency of an advanced diesel mill.
Dubbed as an alternative to diesel powertrains, the VC-Turbo is expected to produce 270PS and 390Nm of torque. The technology seamlessly raises or lowers the reach of the pistons and selects the most suitable compression ratio for current driving conditions. The engine is able to offer any compression ratio between 8:1 for high performance and 14:1 for high efficiency.
Infiniti also claims that the engine would offer 27 per cent more fuel efficiency than a V6 petrol with a similar output. Only time will reveal if "the arrival of the VC-Turbo will establish new benchmarks for power, efficiency and emissions against which future powertrains will be measured".
- News2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado facelift launched in India at Rs 92.6 lakh
- News2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk SUV bookings open across India
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Desert Storm: A look back
- News2018 Ford EcoSport Titanium+ petrol with 5-speed manual option launched in India for Rs 10.47 lakh
- News2018 Yamaha Ray-ZR launched with four new colours in India at Rs 53,451
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 reach Australia for display, India launch later in 2018
- NewsMahindra Adventure season 8 calendar for 2018 announced
- News2018 Mahindra XUV500 facelift to be launched in April
- News2018 Honda CB Shine SP, Livo, and Dream Yuga commuter motorcycles launched in India
- News2018 Honda CBR250R launched in India at Rs 1.63 lakh