Jaguar Land Rover planning to go all electric by 2020
Jaguar Land Rover, the UK-based automaker that is owned by Tata Motors, has joined the fray of electrification of vehicles. The UK-based manufacturer announced that every new car that it will launch in 2020, will have an electric powertrain. The UK government has said that they plan on ending sales of conventional-powered vehicles by 2040 and Jaguar Land Rover's plans to go all-electric seems to be on the fast track. Volvo is another manufacturer which has similar intentions though its plans are less aggressive than Jaguar Land Rover's. However, Jaguar Land Rover's statement of going all-electric doesn't specify if they plan on ending production of petrol and diesel powered cars by 2020 though. In addition to this, Ralf Speth, the CEO of Jaguar Land Rover, has also been credited with saying that the company aims to boost its car production to a million units by the end of this decade.
The i-Pace is powered by two electric motors, one on the front and one on the rear, giving it All-Wheel Drive (AWD) capability. It will be the first electric SUV to be launched by the manufacturer
Jaguar recently unveiled a new i-Pace model. The compact SUV is expected to go sale globally in 2018. Currently it's being made in Austria as JLR's UK facilities don't support an electric powertrain and manufacture of an electric car. JLR is reported to have increased the size of its i54 plant in Coventry to accommodate the production of its future electric cars.
Ralf Speth said, "Every new Jaguar Land Rover model line will be electrified from 2020, giving our customers even more choice. We will introduce a portfolio of electrified products across our model range, embracing fully electric, plug-in hybrid and mild hybrid vehicles." Jaguar Land Rover was also in the news recently for its new Sayer steering wheel that you can take into the living room with you to work as an AI assistant. Owners of Jaguar Land Rover, Tata Motors, are also in the news today - there's an unrest in their plant at Jamshedpur.
- NewsHero MotoSports Team Rally's Hero 450 RR to make Indian debut at 2018 Desert Storm
- News2018 TVS Apache RTR 160 4V Image Gallery
- Review2018 TVS Apache RTR 160 4V first ride review
- NewsPirelli opens its first branded retail store in Agra
- NewsSuzuki Intruder Fi launched in India at Rs 1.06 lakh
- NewsTrack n Tell Intelli Play - Infotainment and tracking device
- NewsAudi India announces price hike ranging from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 9 lakh across its model range
- NewsJaguar XE and XF now available with Ingenium petrol engines
- NewsMotoGP: Valentino Rossi signs with Movistar Yamaha for a further two years
- NewsMercedes Maybach S650 Pullman facelift unveiled