Jaguar Land Rover planning to go all electric by 2020
Jaguar Land Rover, the UK-based automaker that is owned by Tata Motors, has joined the fray of electrification of vehicles. The UK-based manufacturer announced that every new car that it will launch in 2020, will have an electric powertrain. The UK government has said that they plan on ending sales of conventional-powered vehicles by 2040 and Jaguar Land Rover's plans to go all-electric seems to be on the fast track. Volvo is another manufacturer which has similar intentions though its plans are less aggressive than Jaguar Land Rover's. However, Jaguar Land Rover's statement of going all-electric doesn't specify if they plan on ending production of petrol and diesel powered cars by 2020 though. In addition to this, Ralf Speth, the CEO of Jaguar Land Rover, has also been credited with saying that the company aims to boost its car production to a million units by the end of this decade.
The i-Pace is powered by two electric motors, one on the front and one on the rear, giving it All-Wheel Drive (AWD) capability. It will be the first electric SUV to be launched by the manufacturer
Jaguar recently unveiled a new i-Pace model. The compact SUV is expected to go sale globally in 2018. Currently it's being made in Austria as JLR's UK facilities don't support an electric powertrain and manufacture of an electric car. JLR is reported to have increased the size of its i54 plant in Coventry to accommodate the production of its future electric cars.
Ralf Speth said, "Every new Jaguar Land Rover model line will be electrified from 2020, giving our customers even more choice. We will introduce a portfolio of electrified products across our model range, embracing fully electric, plug-in hybrid and mild hybrid vehicles." Jaguar Land Rover was also in the news recently for its new Sayer steering wheel that you can take into the living room with you to work as an AI assistant. Owners of Jaguar Land Rover, Tata Motors, are also in the news today - there's an unrest in their plant at Jamshedpur.
- NewsMore spy images emerge of upcoming 2019 Renault RBC seven-seater MPV
- NewsOkinawa i-Praise electric scooter pre-bookings begin at Rs 5,000
- News2020 Mahindra Thar off-roader spotted testing under camoflage
- NewsJawa Motorcycles opens its first two dealerships in Pune
- NewsINRC 2018: Popular Rally in Kochi to see three-way champonship tussle
- NewsDucati enters pre-owned motorcycle segment in India with Ducati Approved
- FeaturesTata Harrier: Things you will like
- NewsMcLaren commissions six special edition cars to celebrate racing heritage
- FeaturesOverview: Tata Harrier's OMEGA architecture
- NewsBookings open for the 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV