Jeep may be developing a sub-Renegade model for emerging markets
Jeep is reportedly working on a new model that is expected to slot below the Jeep Renegade. The model could, in all likelihood, be a sub-4 metre offering and will be developed for emerging markets, including India.
Last year, Jeep's chief, Michael Manley had hinted that a sub-Renegade model could turn out to be a viable segment for the company.
There are other reports that state that Jeep may use the Fiat Panda's platform to develop its new SUV or develop an entirely new crossover.
As far as India is concerned, a compact Jeep SUV will make a lot of sense, especially since FCA is attempting to increase its market share. If Jeep India does develop such an SUV, it will go up against the likes of the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, the Ford Ecosport and the new Tata Nexon.
Jeep India entered the market with two premium models, the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee. The steep pricing, however, led to a lukewarm response to both models. Earlier this year, Jeep launched the new Compass and the model has received a good response so far. In fact, the company has received close to 10,000 bookings since the Compass' launch in July, this year.
The sub-4 metre SUV market in India is another lucrative segment with big volumes, if the sales of the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza is a benchmark to go by. A similar sized SUV by Jeep could give the company a chance to gain additional foothold in the Indian market as well as other developing markets such as Brazil. Stay tuned for more details.
Starts Rs 14.95 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.26 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.85 Lakhs
- NewsVideo Worth Watching: Street's Not Dead
- News2019 Volkswagen Touareg unveiled in Beijing
- NewsYamaha cuts prices of YZF-R1 by Rs 2.6 lakh, MT-09 by Rs 1.3 lakh
- NewsProduction-spec Tata H5X SUV seen in camouflage
- NewsRoyal Enfield Thunderbird 350 launched in Australia as Rumbler 350
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm: Abhishek Mishra dominates Leg 4
- NewsRefreshed Bajaj Pulsar 150 spotted before March-end launch
- NewsFord and Mahindra to co-develop SUVs and EVs
- NewsMahindra-owned Pininfarina to turn carmaker, launch EV hypercar