Jerome Vanlalrengpuia wins 2018 Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup in India
Jerome Vanlalrengpuia has won the Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup 2018 in India. This gives him a ticket to represent India at the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup Qualifiers in Spain next month. The second and final round of the Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup in the country was organised at the Kari Motor Speedway in Coimbatore this past Sunday. It was close fight between Jerome and fellow Mizoram rider PC Andy Lalhmangaihsanga, who were tied at the top of the points table at 32 points apiece after the two rounds.
Jerome Vanlalrengpuia won Race 1 of the final round and also recorded the fastest qualifying timing, earning him the Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup 2018
Jerome took Race 1 on Saturday, while PC Andy won Race 2 on Sunday and tied the former for points. But Jerome was awarded the win based on his fastest qualifying times in the two rounds. It was Zothanmawia from Mizoram who had won both races of Round 1 earlier. However, he was unable to participate in the final round after facing an injury during an accident in practice.
PC Andy Lalhmangaihsanga won Race 2 and had tied Jerome (2nd on podium) for total points at the end of the round. However, Jerome won the championship owing to better qualifying times.
This was the third edition of the Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup in the country. Racing enthusiasts aged from 12 to 16 years are selected through such competitions in various countries to participate in the international Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup 2018.
Jerome will now represent India at the Red Bull Rookies Cup Qualifiers 2018 in Spain next month
The Rookies Cup had received 300 entries of which 22 were riders shortlisted for the concurrently-run Suzuki Gixxer Cup, and 8 were selected for the Red Bull Road to Rookies Cup. The competition focuses on bringing young riders to an international arena, from where various racers including past Moto2 and Moto3 World Champions have also emerged.
Starts Rs 77,015
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims Aragon GP victory
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907
- NewsSkoda appoints Pavel Richter as production technical director of its India 2.0 project
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 riding gear and apparel
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 accessories
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show