JK Tyre-FMSCI National Rotax Championship begins this weekend
National Karting season kicks off in earnest this weekend at the 1.2km long Meco Kartopia track in Hennur, Bengaluru, where the first round of the 2016 JK Tyre-FMSCI National Karting Championship is being held. And, judging by the practice sessions, all three categories - Micro Max (7-12 years), Junior Max (13-16 years) and Senior Max (above 15 years) - are likely to witness tough battles.
While the break since the final round of the 2015 season has been fairly long, with only the IndiKarting National Series breaking the monotony, the drivers used six unofficial practice sessions to get them race ready for Saturday's official practice sessions.
It appears that the drivers to watch out for in the Senior Max category are reigning champion Ricky Donison, Dhruv Mohite, Vishnu Prasad, Nayan Chatterjee and Akash Gowda, who having won the Junior Max category last year has only just graduated to the senior class.
The Junior Max category will feature drivers such as Nirmal Umashankar, Manav Sharma, Paul Francis, Yash Aradhya and the only girl in the championship, Mira Erda.
The battle in the Micro Max category is meant to be between Shahan Ali Mohsin and Ruhaan Alwa.
Talking of this year's field, Akbar Ebrahim of Meco Racing, said, "Since last year, the field has become quite competitive across all the classes. The unofficial timings hint that we will see close racing over the weekend. As more rubber goes down on the track, it will become faster. So, we are expecting some interesting action in the races."
This is the first of the five-round National Karting Championship. We will keep you posted on the results. Watch this space.
- NewsDucati Dream Tour Rajasthan to be held from February 1 to 5, 2019
- News2018 INRC: Gaurav Gill claims championship title with Popular Rally victory
- News2019 Ford Figo facelift spotted testing undisguised
- NewsUpdated Force Gurkha Xtreme launched at Rs 12.99 lakh
- NewsKTM working on a bigger and better RC390, to take on Yamaha R3 and Kawasaki Ninja 400
- NewsHyundai QXi sub-four meter SUV spotted testing in South Korea
- NewsLambretta EV to be launched in India in 2020
- News2019 Toyota Camry hybrid to launch in India on January 18
- News2019 Bajaj Platina 110 launched at Rs 47,197
- News2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA teased ahead of debut next month at CES 2019