Kharegaon toll on Mumbai-Nasik highway to shut down from May 13, 2017
Maharashtra's oldest toll in Kharegaon will shut its operations from May 13, 2017. This tollbooth, set up in 1998, used to collect Rs 29 for a single journey for passenger cars and Rs 42.5 for return journey. The central government had issued a gazette notification in 2002, announcing the closure dates for different tollbooths.
Image used for representation purpose
The Kharegaon tollbooth is presently being operated by a private contractor, Ideal Road Builders (IRB), who have been authorised by the National Highway Authority of India to collect toll from commercial and passenger four-wheelers travelling from Thane to Nasik as well other roads directing towards Mumbra.
We believe the decision to shut Kharegaon toll will have a positive impact among the motorists frequenting this route. Not only will it be a free affair but will also reduce the congestion caused by the stop-go traffic. This will also help reduce fuel consumption as well as bring down pollution level around the toll areas.
Two years ago, Maharashtra government announced a toll waiver for state transport buses and cars (both personal and tourist) at 65 tollbooths across the state; 12 tollbooths had been completely shut down back then. In addition, according to a directive that was issued last year, Maharashtra government has also been working on exempting toll payment during heavy traffic. There is also a yellow line rule that exempts motorists from paying the toll if there is a congestion in traffic beyond the yellow line. However, most of the toll operators refrain from using this rule, rendering it useless in everyday conditions.
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 road test review
- NewsLive updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 launched in India at Rs 2.50 lakh, Continental GT 650 at Rs 2.65 lakh
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 India first ride review
- NewsToyota Corolla Sedan teased ahead of November 16 global debut
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 launching today! What to expect?
- NewsNew-gen Maruti Suzuki Ertiga bookings open ahead of November 21 launch
- NewsFord Bronco SUV leaked ahead of 2020 launch
- News2018 LA Motor Show: Hyundai Palisade three-row SUV leaked ahead of official reveal
- FeaturesOsian's auction of a collection of automobile memorabilia from the pricely state of Bhavnagar