Kharegaon toll on Mumbai-Nasik highway to shut down from May 13, 2017
Maharashtra's oldest toll in Kharegaon will shut its operations from May 13, 2017. This tollbooth, set up in 1998, used to collect Rs 29 for a single journey for passenger cars and Rs 42.5 for return journey. The central government had issued a gazette notification in 2002, announcing the closure dates for different tollbooths.
Image used for representation purpose
The Kharegaon tollbooth is presently being operated by a private contractor, Ideal Road Builders (IRB), who have been authorised by the National Highway Authority of India to collect toll from commercial and passenger four-wheelers travelling from Thane to Nasik as well other roads directing towards Mumbra.
We believe the decision to shut Kharegaon toll will have a positive impact among the motorists frequenting this route. Not only will it be a free affair but will also reduce the congestion caused by the stop-go traffic. This will also help reduce fuel consumption as well as bring down pollution level around the toll areas.
Two years ago, Maharashtra government announced a toll waiver for state transport buses and cars (both personal and tourist) at 65 tollbooths across the state; 12 tollbooths had been completely shut down back then. In addition, according to a directive that was issued last year, Maharashtra government has also been working on exempting toll payment during heavy traffic. There is also a yellow line rule that exempts motorists from paying the toll if there is a congestion in traffic beyond the yellow line. However, most of the toll operators refrain from using this rule, rendering it useless in everyday conditions.
- NewsMotoGP: How the 2019 grid has shaped up so far
- NewsVideo worth watching Tesla Model X rollover test
- NewsTVS Racing to debut the race version of the Ntorq scooter, the Ntorq SXR at INRC Nashik
- NewsLand Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque now available with 2.0-litre Ingenium petrol engine
- FeaturesBest driving routes: Maneybhanjang to Sandakphu
- NewsToyota looking to produce and jointly sell models developed by Maruti Suzuki
- News2018 Ford EcoSport S Ecoboost and EcoSport Signature Edition image gallery
- NewsDodge Viper could be reborn in 2020 but without a V10 engine
- Review2018 Hyundai Creta facelift first drive review
- News2018 Mahindra TUV300 Plus P4 continues to arrive at dealerships selectively