Lexus brand makes its way to India, 3 models launched
Lexus, the luxury arm of Japanese carmaker Toyota, has finally made its way to India. Lexus has been planning on an Indian foray for the last four years and has now entered the market with a three-model portfolio - the ES 300h, RX 450h and the LX 450d. While bookings have already started, deliveries will begin from April.
The Lexus 300h is based on the Toyota's platform
Two of the aforementioned models are hybrids, made apparent by the 'h' moniker. The Lexus ES 300h is the most affordable car that the company currently has in India. It is priced at Rs 55.27 lakh and shares its platform with the Camry. The ES runs a series-parallel hybrid system which uses a 160PS/233Nm 2.5-litre petrol engine that makes 160PS and 233Nm. This engine is combined to a 143PS/270Nm electric motor. An e-CVT transfers power to the front wheels. The sedan also looks similar to the donor Camry but with a bit more of luxury features. The interior too has generous amounts of wood and chrome inlay to it.
The Lexus 450d is based on the Toyota
The LX 450d is also based on a Toyota that we know - the Land Cruiser. Lexus' sharp design language has transformed the all-flab donor car to a lithe-looking unit in the form of the LX. The spindle grille makes this car look imposing. The cabin looks and feels modern with generous amounts of leather all around and comfortable seating for eight passengers. The LX also gets entertainment screens behind the first as well as second row of seats. The seats in middle and last rows also fold electrically to liberate more space for the luggage. Should you need more ground clearance, the suspension of the LX can be raised too. The engine is a 270PS/650Nm 4.5-litre turbo diesel. The engine is mated to a 6-speed automatic and transfers power to all four wheels. Price will be announced at a later date. The hybrid variant is also expected at a later date.
The RX 450h subscribes to the new design that Lexus recently adopted for its vehicles
Last but not the least is the RX 450h. The RX uses a much bigger 3.5-litre V6 petrol engine and, along with an electric motor, makes 310PS. Power is sent to all the wheels via an e-CVT which is claimed to be more efficient than before. Lexus claims a 0-100kmph time of less than eight seconds and a combined fuel economy close to 20kmpl (American cycle). The RX 450h subscribes to the new design that Lexus recently adopted for its vehicles. This means an aggressive look, chunky alloy wheels, and all-LED head and tail lamps. The price for the Luxury Sport is Rs 1.07 crore while the F-Sport is for Rs 1.09 crore. All prices are ex-Delhi.
There are four dealerships active in the metros as of now, and these are Lexus-exclusive showrooms. Lexus also showcased the all-new LS which we expect the company to introduce here at a later stage. There are also plans of manufacturing the Lexus cars here in India. Currently, all of the cars from Lexus come in through the CBU route.
Starts Rs 29.75 Lakhs
Starts Rs 1.41 Crore
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 road test review
- NewsLive updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 launched in India at Rs 2.50 lakh, Continental GT 650 at Rs 2.65 lakh
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 India first ride review
- NewsToyota Corolla Sedan teased ahead of November 16 global debut
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 launching today! What to expect?
- NewsNew-gen Maruti Suzuki Ertiga bookings open ahead of November 21 launch
- NewsFord Bronco SUV leaked ahead of 2020 launch
- News2018 LA Motor Show: Hyundai Palisade three-row SUV leaked ahead of official reveal
- FeaturesOsian's auction of a collection of automobile memorabilia from the pricely state of Bhavnagar