Lexus brand makes its way to India, 3 models launched
Lexus, the luxury arm of Japanese carmaker Toyota, has finally made its way to India. Lexus has been planning on an Indian foray for the last four years and has now entered the market with a three-model portfolio - the ES 300h, RX 450h and the LX 450d. While bookings have already started, deliveries will begin from April.
The Lexus 300h is based on the Toyota's platform
Two of the aforementioned models are hybrids, made apparent by the 'h' moniker. The Lexus ES 300h is the most affordable car that the company currently has in India. It is priced at Rs 55.27 lakh and shares its platform with the Camry. The ES runs a series-parallel hybrid system which uses a 160PS/233Nm 2.5-litre petrol engine that makes 160PS and 233Nm. This engine is combined to a 143PS/270Nm electric motor. An e-CVT transfers power to the front wheels. The sedan also looks similar to the donor Camry but with a bit more of luxury features. The interior too has generous amounts of wood and chrome inlay to it.
The Lexus 450d is based on the Toyota
The LX 450d is also based on a Toyota that we know - the Land Cruiser. Lexus' sharp design language has transformed the all-flab donor car to a lithe-looking unit in the form of the LX. The spindle grille makes this car look imposing. The cabin looks and feels modern with generous amounts of leather all around and comfortable seating for eight passengers. The LX also gets entertainment screens behind the first as well as second row of seats. The seats in middle and last rows also fold electrically to liberate more space for the luggage. Should you need more ground clearance, the suspension of the LX can be raised too. The engine is a 270PS/650Nm 4.5-litre turbo diesel. The engine is mated to a 6-speed automatic and transfers power to all four wheels. Price will be announced at a later date. The hybrid variant is also expected at a later date.
The RX 450h subscribes to the new design that Lexus recently adopted for its vehicles
Last but not the least is the RX 450h. The RX uses a much bigger 3.5-litre V6 petrol engine and, along with an electric motor, makes 310PS. Power is sent to all the wheels via an e-CVT which is claimed to be more efficient than before. Lexus claims a 0-100kmph time of less than eight seconds and a combined fuel economy close to 20kmpl (American cycle). The RX 450h subscribes to the new design that Lexus recently adopted for its vehicles. This means an aggressive look, chunky alloy wheels, and all-LED head and tail lamps. The price for the Luxury Sport is Rs 1.07 crore while the F-Sport is for Rs 1.09 crore. All prices are ex-Delhi.
There are four dealerships active in the metros as of now, and these are Lexus-exclusive showrooms. Lexus also showcased the all-new LS which we expect the company to introduce here at a later stage. There are also plans of manufacturing the Lexus cars here in India. Currently, all of the cars from Lexus come in through the CBU route.
Starts Rs 29.75 Lakhs
Starts Rs 1.41 Crore
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Dhruv Mohite wins Race 1 at season-opener at Kari Motor Speedway
- NewsIndian National Racing Championship 2018: Round 2 free practice sees Arjun Balu make a successful return
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa