Mahindra matches Tata Motors bid for electric vehicles tender, will provide 150 e-Verito cars to EESL
Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M) has matched the lowest bid by Tata Motors for the manufacture and supply of 10,000 electric vehicles (EVs) to state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL). Tata Motors which had been awarded the tender with the lowest bid of Rs 11.2 lakh per car, will be manufacturing the Tata Tigor EV at its Sanand plant in Gujarat. The supply of 10,000 EVs, collectively worth Rs 1,120 crore, under the tender is divided into two phases - 500 cars by November 2017, and the other 9,500 in coming years. For the first phase of 500, Mahindra had initially been outbid by Tata Motors. However, M&M has stated that it decided to meet the lowest bid of Rs 11.2 lakh by Tata, to show its support to the government's all-electric mobility plan by 2030. It will provide 150 Mahindra e-Verito cars to EESL.
By matching the bid, Mahindra will be providing 30 per cent, or 150 cars, of the first phase EVs to EESL. However, to meet this number, Mahindra had to lower its original bid by Rs 2.3 lakh per car. Mahindra is currently the only electric vehicle maker in the country, with three models on offer - e20, eVerito, and the e-Alfa Mini autorickshaw.The time frame for the second phase has not been provided by EESL yet. Nor has Mahindra commented on whether it will also similarly match Tata's bid for the other 9,500 electric vehicles.
While specs of the Tata Tigor EV have not been released, the Tiago EV concept was recently showcased at Low Carbon Vehicle at Milbrook earlier this year running an 85kW electric motor which produces 200Nm. It comes equipped with driving modes including City and Sport with a 0 to 100kmph in under 11 seconds and a top whack of 135kmph. In the case of the Tigor EV, the tender requires for the car to have a minimum range of 150km on a single charge.
Starts Rs 4.84 Lakhs
- NewsOfficial: BMW Motorrad India launches G 310 R and G 310 GS motorcycles at Rs 2.99 and Rs 3.49 lakh!
- NewsBMW G 310 R and BMW G 310 GS: Watch the BMW Motorrad live webcast here
- NewsLive updates: BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS launch in India
- News2018 Porsche Macan SUV facelift teased during high-altitude testing
- NewsEXCLUSIVE: BMW G 310 R and BMW G 310 GS to be priced at Rs 2.75 lakh and Rs 3.4 lakh in India respectively
- Features2018 Yamaha YZF-R15: Four things you'll love and two things that you won't
- NewsBest deals on car tyres right now
- NewsAudi Q3 and Audi Q7 SUVs launched in new 'Design Edition' trims
- NewsDiscounts of up to 50 per cent on motorcycle tyres in India
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 BMW G 310 R