Mahindra matches Tata Motors bid for electric vehicles tender, will provide 150 e-Verito cars to EESL
Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M) has matched the lowest bid by Tata Motors for the manufacture and supply of 10,000 electric vehicles (EVs) to state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL). Tata Motors which had been awarded the tender with the lowest bid of Rs 11.2 lakh per car, will be manufacturing the Tata Tigor EV at its Sanand plant in Gujarat. The supply of 10,000 EVs, collectively worth Rs 1,120 crore, under the tender is divided into two phases - 500 cars by November 2017, and the other 9,500 in coming years. For the first phase of 500, Mahindra had initially been outbid by Tata Motors. However, M&M has stated that it decided to meet the lowest bid of Rs 11.2 lakh by Tata, to show its support to the government's all-electric mobility plan by 2030. It will provide 150 Mahindra e-Verito cars to EESL.
By matching the bid, Mahindra will be providing 30 per cent, or 150 cars, of the first phase EVs to EESL. However, to meet this number, Mahindra had to lower its original bid by Rs 2.3 lakh per car. Mahindra is currently the only electric vehicle maker in the country, with three models on offer - e20, eVerito, and the e-Alfa Mini autorickshaw.The time frame for the second phase has not been provided by EESL yet. Nor has Mahindra commented on whether it will also similarly match Tata's bid for the other 9,500 electric vehicles.
While specs of the Tata Tigor EV have not been released, the Tiago EV concept was recently showcased at Low Carbon Vehicle at Milbrook earlier this year running an 85kW electric motor which produces 200Nm. It comes equipped with driving modes including City and Sport with a 0 to 100kmph in under 11 seconds and a top whack of 135kmph. In the case of the Tigor EV, the tender requires for the car to have a minimum range of 150km on a single charge.
Starts Rs 4.65 Lakhs
- FeaturesAuxiliary lights for motorcycles: Everything that you should know
- NewsPirelli inaugurates its first tyre centre in Vadodara
- NewsFormula E: Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY racecar to debut at Berlin ePrix
- NewsSkoda Kamiq unveiled before Auto China 2018 debut
- NewsTVS holds its first event for the south chapter of the Apache owners group
- Review2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 first ride review
- FeaturesWhat's under the new Suzuki GSX-S750's skin?
- News2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 launch in India tomorrow
- NewsMercedes-Benz A-Class sedan image leaked ahead of Beijing debut
- NewsAuto China 2018: All-new Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept teaser out