Mahindra-owned Pininfarina to turn carmaker, launch EV hypercar
Mahindra-owned Italian design house Pininfarina has announced plans of building a line-up of high-end electric vehicles under its own brand. The first car to be built will be a Bugatti Chiron-rivalling electric hypercar codenamed the PF-Zero. Aiding Pininfarina in this project will be the Croatian electric hypercar maker Rimac Automobili as well as the Mahindra Racing Formula E team. The 1,500PS PF-Zero will be limited to 20 units and should debut by 2020. Variations of the modular platform that will underpin the hypercar will also be the base for three more all-electric SUVs that will compete with the likes of the Lamborghini Urus, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Macan.
The highest-end Urus-rivalling SUV, codenamed the PF-One, will make around 950PS and draw power from a large 140kWh battery pack. This will give it a 0 to 100 kmph time of less than 3s. Details of the other two SUVs are scarce, but it is known that they will compete in the large and medium-size luxury segments. Pininfarina plans to launch these vehicles within the next five years
Mahindra will provide the first $100 million (Rs. 651 crore) needed to fund the project. The remaining $400 million needed over the course of the development of the SUVs will be raised via strategic partners. A formal announcement of this plan is expected to be made at the first race of the Formula E season in Rome, on April 14.
Established in 1930, Pininfarina has been under Mahindra ownership since 2015. The company started off as a coachbuilder but is best known for its long-standing relationship with Ferrari, designing its cars. The company has also worked with firms like Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Rolls-Royce, Volvo, and Cadillac. At the 2018 Geneva Motor Show, Pininfarina displayed its first self-branded car, the H2 Speed hydrogen fuel cell supercar with 656PS (in picture). This track-only supercar will be limited to a production run of 13-units.
- ReviewSuzuki V-Strom 650 XT ABS first ride review
- NewsMG Motor India's first launch: Everything we know
- NewsVolkswagen Passat with Connect app launched at Rs 25.99 lakh
- News2019 Hyundai Santro spotted in top-spec Asta trim
- NewsHero Destini 125cc scooter to launch on October 22
- NewsChinese carmaker Great Wall Motors to enter India by 2021-22
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally
- FeaturesReady to race: Volkswagen Vento TC4-A Racecar first drive review