Mahindra to develop small car based on Verito Vibe platform
Mahindra will continue to develop the Verito Vibe platform in the effort to make a new small car for the Indian market. In this regard, Mahindra is already working with Ssangyong Motor Company to develop a small engine which we assume could be under the 1-litre displacement mark to avail the duty benefits.
2013 Mahindra at launch
Speaking to Ronojoy Banerjee of CNBC TV18, Dr Pawan Goenka, President Automotive and Farm Sector, Mahindra, stated that the company was looking at further developing passenger cars under the 4-meter size bracket.
Mahindra started off its passenger car business with a single product deal with Renault who also provided them with critical development knowledge. The Mahindra Renault Logan, however, failed to make the impact Mahindra or Renault would have liked to see. Nonetheless it set Mahindra on the path to expand its interest in the passenger car segment adding to its diverse, large and predominant SUV portfolio.
Mahindra, just around a year ago, then rebadged the Logan as the Verito; spicing it up with some cosmetic changes and features to distance it from the Mahindra Renault alliance and give it a slightly new identity.
Just a couple of months ago, Mahindra then came out with the Verito Vibe, which was a chopped up version of the Verito for the hatchback segment. Read the full first drive report of the Verito Vibe here.
Now to expand the portfolio further Mahindra is working on a new small car that will not just be all new in terms of design and packaging, but also offer a new smaller and more economical (both in terms of price and fuel) engine. This will provide Mahindra a much bigger consumer base in a market that is expected to grow significantly larger than where it is over the next few years.
Dr Goenka further added that Mahindra were nearly ready with electric versions of the Geo and Maximo, both successful commercial vehicles for Mahindra. The electric know-how comes from Mahindra's association with Reva, who also recently launched an electric hatchback - the e2o.
Starts Rs 6.48 Lakhs
- FeaturesAuxiliary lights for motorcycles: Everything that you should know
- NewsPirelli inaugurates its first tyre centre in Vadodara
- NewsFormula E: Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY racecar to debut at Berlin ePrix
- NewsSkoda Kamiq unveiled before Auto China 2018 debut
- NewsTVS holds its first event for the south chapter of the Apache owners group
- Review2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 first ride review
- FeaturesWhat's under the new Suzuki GSX-S750's skin?
- News2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 launch in India tomorrow
- NewsMercedes-Benz A-Class sedan image leaked ahead of Beijing debut
- NewsAuto China 2018: All-new Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept teaser out