Mahindra to launch all-electric compact SUV by 2020
Mahindra and Mahindra has always been pushing the envelope with respect to electric vehicles. Ever since it acquired a majority stake in Bangalore-based REVA electric car company, Mahindra and Mahindra has launched two electric cars. First was the e2o hatchback, and in June 2016 the company launched the eVerito sedan. It is the only all-electric sedan on sale in India.
It is now being reported that the company is planning to launch an all-electric SUV by 2020. The vehicle has been code-named 'S107' and is likely to sport an affordable price tag at the time of launch. According to a report by the Times of India, Anand Mahindra, chairman of Mahindra and Mahindra, said during an internal meeting, "If anyone is preparing feverishly for a disruptive future of mobility, it is Mahindra."
Mahindra and Mahindra believes that a compact all-electric SUV will cater to those who seek an involving driving experience. It feels that the eVerito caters to the needs of more practical buyers. It is also being reported that Pravin Shah, CEO of Mahindra and Mahindra, has said, "We fully intend to be profitable participants in this new world."
"We are looking at adding more SUVs as well as small commercial vehicles to our electric vehicle portfolio. The focus will be on offering more affordable electric vehicles for higher accessibility. Mahindra Reva will continue to address the range anxiety with continuous development," he further added.
The company is also working on a four door version of the e2o. It will not only be longer than the two door e2o but also get an upgraded motor and battery pack. Last month, Mahindra and Mahindra had launched the Scorpio with Intelli-Hybrid technology. Mahindra's new mild hybrid technology reduces fuel consumption by around 7 per cent by assisting the engine with electric power during acceleration. Apart from introducing mild hybrid technology on an existing model, the company appears to be keen on introducing all-electric vehicles across segments.
Source: Times of India
Starts Rs 7.76 Lakhs
- NewsNew Porsche 911 GT3 RS laps the Nurburgring in under 7 minutes
- NewsYamaha Tenere 700 prototype spied testing in Italy
- News2018 INRC: Vicky Chandhok to compete in Chennai Rally in a VW Polo R2
- News2018 Honda Amaze showcased in TVC before launch on May 16
- News2018 Tata Nexon AMT bookings open at Rs 11,000 across India
- NewsBMW iX3 Concept teased before Beijing auto show reveal
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims dominant win at COTA
- NewsMahindra Electric and Meru to ply eVerito EV cabs in Hyderabad
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 catches attention of Prince William
- NewsMahindra (Ssangyong) G4 Rexton spotted testing in India