Mahindra to launch all-electric compact SUV by 2020
Mahindra and Mahindra has always been pushing the envelope with respect to electric vehicles. Ever since it acquired a majority stake in Bangalore-based REVA electric car company, Mahindra and Mahindra has launched two electric cars. First was the e2o hatchback, and in June 2016 the companylaunched the eVerito sedan. It is the only all-electric sedan on sale in India.
It is now being reported that the company is planning to launch an all-electric SUV by 2020. The vehicle has been code-named 'S107' and is likely to sport an affordable price tag at the time of launch. According to a report by the Times of India, Anand Mahindra, chairman of Mahindra and Mahindra, said during an internal meeting, If anyone is preparing feverishly for a disruptive future of mobility, it is Mahindra."
Mahindra and Mahindra believes that a compact all-electric SUV will cater to those whoseek an involving driving experience. It feels that the eVerito caters to the needs of more practical buyers. It is also being reported that Pravin Shah, CEO of Mahindra and Mahindra, has said, We fully intend to be profitable participants in this new world."
We are looking at adding more SUVs as well as small commercial vehicles to our electric vehicle portfolio. The focus will be on offering more affordable electric vehicles for higher accessibility. Mahindra Reva will continue to address the range anxiety with continuous development," he further added.
The company is also working on a four door version of the e2o. It will not only be longer than the two door e2o but also get an upgraded motor and battery pack. Last month, Mahindra and Mahindra had launched the Scorpio with Intelli-Hybrid technology. Mahindra's new mild hybrid technology reduces fuel consumption by around 7 per cent by assisting the engine with electric power during acceleration. Apart from introducing mild hybrid technology on an existing model, the company appears to be keen on introducing all-electric vehicles across segments.
Source: Times of India
- ReviewSuzuki V-Strom 650 XT ABS first ride review
- NewsMG Motor India's first launch: Everything we know
- NewsVolkswagen Passat with Connect app launched at Rs 25.99 lakh
- News2019 Hyundai Santro spotted in top-spec Asta trim
- NewsHero Destini 125cc scooter to launch on October 22
- NewsChinese carmaker Great Wall Motors to enter India by 2021-22
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally
- FeaturesReady to race: Volkswagen Vento TC4-A Racecar first drive review