Mahindra to launch all-electric compact SUV by 2020
Mahindra and Mahindra has always been pushing the envelope with respect to electric vehicles. Ever since it acquired a majority stake in Bangalore-based REVA electric car company, Mahindra and Mahindra has launched two electric cars. First was the e2o hatchback, and in June 2016 the company launched the eVerito sedan. It is the only all-electric sedan on sale in India.
It is now being reported that the company is planning to launch an all-electric SUV by 2020. The vehicle has been code-named 'S107' and is likely to sport an affordable price tag at the time of launch. According to a report by the Times of India, Anand Mahindra, chairman of Mahindra and Mahindra, said during an internal meeting, "If anyone is preparing feverishly for a disruptive future of mobility, it is Mahindra."
Mahindra and Mahindra believes that a compact all-electric SUV will cater to those who seek an involving driving experience. It feels that the eVerito caters to the needs of more practical buyers. It is also being reported that Pravin Shah, CEO of Mahindra and Mahindra, has said, "We fully intend to be profitable participants in this new world."
"We are looking at adding more SUVs as well as small commercial vehicles to our electric vehicle portfolio. The focus will be on offering more affordable electric vehicles for higher accessibility. Mahindra Reva will continue to address the range anxiety with continuous development," he further added.
The company is also working on a four door version of the e2o. It will not only be longer than the two door e2o but also get an upgraded motor and battery pack. Last month, Mahindra and Mahindra had launched the Scorpio with Intelli-Hybrid technology. Mahindra's new mild hybrid technology reduces fuel consumption by around 7 per cent by assisting the engine with electric power during acceleration. Apart from introducing mild hybrid technology on an existing model, the company appears to be keen on introducing all-electric vehicles across segments.
Source: Times of India
Starts Rs 8.12 Lakhs
- NewsF1: 2018 will be Fernando Alonso's last season in Formula 1
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: TVS Racing announces six-rider line-up
- News2018 Msports X30 Karting Championship: Shahan Ali Mohsin overcomes early upsets to win in Junior category
- NewsBMW M2 Competition set to debut in India soon
- News2019 Honda HR-V crossover facelift unveiled, to be powered by 1.5-litre i-VTEC
- NewsLiberty Walk transforms the Suzuki Jimmy into a mini G-Class
- NewsBMW X7 flagship SUV shows its off roading capabilty in new teaser
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja H2 gets more power, Brembo Stylema calipers and a self healing paint
- NewsBajaj Pulsar NS160 with rear disc brakes spotted at dealership
- NewsToyota Rush SUV to launch in Pakistan soon, India launch next?