Major auto brands to skip the 2016 Auto Expo in India
The 2016 Auto Expo will be missing a few regular participants next, with manufacturers choosing to divert the rental charges costing between Rs 5-15 crore, into product development and marketing. In the two-wheeler section, Bajaj, Royal Enfield and Harley-Davidson will skip this event. The Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) claims that the rental costs haven't gone up since 2012 and that they are the lowest compared to any other international auto shows in India.
However, Rajiv Bajaj, managing director of Bajaj Auto, stated, "If we are not an Indian manufacturer and coming to India, I would want people to know me, and then I should participate. I will participate in Angola or Nigeria, where people don't know me (Bajaj Auto). This condition does not apply to Bajaj Auto in India."
Although no official details are out, it is likely that Harley-Davidson will be skipping the event due to the lack of a new product this year.
The four-wheeler department is likely to miss out on manufacturers such as Volvo and Skoda. In a statement to OVERDRIVE, a Skoda India spokesperson confirmed that they "are unlikely to participate in the forthcoming Auto Expo as per the marketing plan for 2016."
While these brands opt out of the Expo, Fiat will exhibit the new models under its brands - Jeep and Maserati. The 2016 Auto Expo will host over 40 vehicle manufacturers displaying their new offerings. Over 22 of these are expected to be passenger and commercial vehicle manufacturers and more than 18 are expected to be two and three-wheeler manufacturers.
- NewsF1: 2018 will be Fernando Alonso's last season in Formula 1
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: TVS Racing announces six-rider line-up
- News2018 Msports X30 Karting Championship: Shahan Ali Mohsin overcomes early upsets to win in Junior category
- NewsBMW M2 Competition set to debut in India soon
- News2019 Honda HR-V crossover facelift unveiled, to be powered by 1.5-litre i-VTEC
- NewsLiberty Walk transforms the Suzuki Jimmy into a mini G-Class
- NewsBMW X7 flagship SUV shows its off roading capabilty in new teaser
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja H2 gets more power, Brembo Stylema calipers and a self healing paint
- NewsBajaj Pulsar NS160 with rear disc brakes spotted at dealership
- NewsToyota Rush SUV to launch in Pakistan soon, India launch next?