Maruti Suzuki Alto total sales cross 35 lakh units
Maruti Suzuki marked an achievement for the Alto with the popular small car crossing cumulative sales of 35 lakh units. The Maruti Suzuki Alto has been dominant in the entry-level hatchback segment for 14 years, the company states. Maruti Suzuki states that the Alto enjoys 33 per cent market share in its segment. Nearly 44 per cent of Alto buyers are under 35 years of age, showing its popularity amongst younger customers. Even though there has been a shift to compact sedans and SUVs in recent years, the Maruti Suzuki Alto has still managed to retain its image as the preferred car first-time buyers. In fact, in 2017, the Alto was overtaken by its stablemate Dzire to the top of the sales chart.
Maruti Suzuki senior executive director (marketing & sales), RS Kalsi, said, "Since 2006, every two years, Alto is adding 5 lakh new happy customers. In 2008, we clocked 10 lakh units. In 2010, it touched 15 lakh units and today in 2018, we have crossed 35 lakhs of cumulative sales." The Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 has also been available with an automatic gear shift (AGS) variant since 20014, which amounted to 18 per cent of its sales in 2017-18. The Alto competes with the Renault Kwid, Datsun Redi-GO, and Hyundai Eon.
The next-generation Alto will be developed on a new platform. It is being reported that the hardware and technology will come from Suzuki while the incorporation of those along with the company's arm in India will work on the design, engineering, and validation. The company is also planning to revamp the WagonR (code-named YCA) and the Celerio (code-named YNC) and launch the new models in the next three years. This is part of the company's bigger plan of launching 15 new models in India by 2020.
Starts Rs 3.29 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.3 Lakhs
- NewsHonda Brio hatchback discontinued in India
- News2018 Lamborghini SC18 unveiled, its first one-off car
- NewsWRC 2018: Ogier clinches sixth title as Latvala wins Rally Australia
- NewsNissan Motor Co chairman Carlos Ghosn faces arrest by Japan authorities over financial violations allegations
- NewsVolkswagen India asked to deposit Rs 100 crores by the NGT over Dieselgate
- NewsSpied: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA sedan caught testing
- ReviewHero Xtreme 200R vs TVS Apache RTR 160 4v comparison test
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV prices to increase by up to Rs 40,000 from January 2019
- News2018 MotoGP season comes to a dramatic end, Dovizioso wins 'two-part' rain soaked race
- News2018 JK NRC: Karthik Tharani wins 2018 Euro JK 18 championship