Maruti Suzuki Alto total sales cross 35 lakh units
Maruti Suzuki marked an achievement for the Alto with the popular small car crossing cumulative sales of 35 lakh units. The Maruti Suzuki Alto has been dominant in the entry-level hatchback segment for 14 years, the company states. Maruti Suzuki states that the Alto enjoys 33 per cent market share in its segment. Nearly 44 per cent of Alto buyers are under 35 years of age, showing its popularity amongst younger customers. Even though there has been a shift to compact sedans and SUVs in recent years, the Maruti Suzuki Alto has still managed to retain its image as the preferred car first-time buyers. In fact, in 2017, the Alto was overtaken by its stablemate Dzire to the top of the sales chart.
Maruti Suzuki senior executive director (marketing & sales), RS Kalsi, said, "Since 2006, every two years, Alto is adding 5 lakh new happy customers. In 2008, we clocked 10 lakh units. In 2010, it touched 15 lakh units and today in 2018, we have crossed 35 lakhs of cumulative sales." The Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 has also been available with an automatic gear shift (AGS) variant since 20014, which amounted to 18 per cent of its sales in 2017-18. The Alto competes with the Renault Kwid, Datsun Redi-GO, and Hyundai Eon.
The next-generation Alto will be developed on a new platform. It is being reported that the hardware and technology will come from Suzuki while the incorporation of those along with the company's arm in India will work on the design, engineering, and validation. The company is also planning to revamp the WagonR (code-named YCA) and the Celerio (code-named YNC) and launch the new models in the next three years. This is part of the company's bigger plan of launching 15 new models in India by 2020.
Starts Rs 3.29 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.3 Lakhs
Team OD | 14 Sep 2018
- NewsAprilia studying the Indian market to introduce 125cc-150cc motorcycles
- NewsVolkswagen Polo GT, Vento and Jetta recalled in India
- NewsAll Aprilia and Vespa models in India to receive ABS before 2018-end
- NewsTata Tiago hatchback records its highest ever monthly sales
- News2018 Ferrari Portofino to be launched in India on September 28
- NewsRenault-Nissan-Mitsubishi and Google announce technological partnership
- NewsLimited edition Ferrari Monza SP1 and SP2 showcased
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 teased further in new video
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq RS performance SUV teased ahead of Paris Motor Show unveil
- NewsPiaggio launches updated Aprilia SR150, Vespa and mobile connectivity app