Maruti Suzuki Motorsport contemplating INRC 2018 entry
There have been attempts to attract more manufacturers to the Indian National Rally Championship for a long while now. But despite several meetings with the Rally Commission, it seems like things haven't progressed beyond talks. As of now, Mahindra is the only manufacturer in the event, with Volkswagen currently only running its Customer Sport Programme.
However, things could change soon as Maruti Suzuki Motorsport is all set to announce its involvement in the INRC 2018, with a new team, and a new lineup of drivers. The manufacturer is looking to bring in the Baleno R2 as their vehicle of choice, with which they plan on competing in the championship. There is also a possibility that a private team will rally a Baleno R2, but as yet there is no clarity about the same. Rumours also link a rally-spec S-Cross to the INRC for 2018.
This could be the boost that the INRC is looking for, since in the past teams like Toyota (which as has been reported by Evo India is looking to run a one-make rally championship alongside the INRC) and Volkswagen might reconsider their participation in the championship. Volkswagen has in the past repeatedly stated that they would only consider entering the INRC as a manufacturer provided other manufacturers entered too, and currently maintains this position.
Maruti Suzuki Motorsport might also consider sponsoring the INRC.
When OVERDRIVE reached out to Maruti, officials were not available for comment on the matter.
- NewsDaimler India will launch 50 products in domestic as well as international markets
- NewsSwapping stakes in KTM for a reasonable share in Pierer Industries on cards for Bajaj
- News2019 Hero Xpulse 200 spotted uncamouflaged ahead of its official launch
- FeaturesRacedecade: Celebrating 10 years of racing for VW Motorsport India
- NewsAvan Trend E electric scooter launched in India at Rs 56,900