Mercedes-AMG G 63 will be the only G-Class for India, says Mercedes-Benz
Speaking at the launch of the second generation of the Mercedes-AMG 63, Michael Jopp, the head of sales and marketing at Mercedes-Benz India said that the G-Class SUV will continue to remain a single variant model line in our country for the foreseeable future.
The G 63 is the most popular AMG vehicle in the country and the company can easily sell its allocation of these cars for our market. The lower spec G 500 might divide the strong focus currently on the G 63. Consequently, Mercedes-Benz India is willing to let go of the benefits that may arise from the relatively more affordable positioning of the G 500.
The second-generation of the Mercedes-AMG G 63 SUV has been launched in India at Rs 2.19 crore (ex-showroom India). Aside from the relatively untouched looks of the new G-Class, the G 63 comes with AMG-specific trim, both inside and out. There is a new grille, bumpers, exhaust, brakes and wheels.
The interiors have also received the uprated AMG treatment with a new instrument cluster, more options for interior trim, quilted seats and contrast stitching. Other than this, the larger cabin space, MBUX infotainment system and better overall refinement of the new G-Class remain intact.
Extensive changes have been made to this SUV to make it fit to carry the G 63 moniker. The first of these is the addition of the 4.0-litre twin-turbo AMG motor as seen on other AMG cars like the E 63 and S 63. This makes 585PS and 850Nm in this application. Consequently, the new G 63 gets from 0 to 100kmph in 4.5s and goes on to an electronically limited top speed of 220kmph. This increases to 240kmph when one opts for the AMG Driver's Package.
This motor is mated to a nine-speed dual-clutch transmission retuned for quicker responses.
The all-wheel drive, three differential locks, a ladder-type frame plus engageable low-range gearbox remain untouched.
- NewsMG Motor India's first launch: Everything we know
- NewsVolkswagen Passat with Connect app launched at Rs 25.99 lakh
- News2019 Hyundai Santro spotted in top-spec Asta trim
- NewsHero Destini 125cc scooter to launch on October 22
- NewsChinese carmaker Great Wall Motors to enter India by 2021-22
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally
- FeaturesReady to race
- NewsMahindra becomes first Indian carmaker to drive to Everest base camp