Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan teased as the most aerodynamic production car
The Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan has just set a record for being the most aerodynamic production car in the world. Mercedes-Benz has teased the upcoming sedan on social media, stating that the A-Class has a Coefficient drag (Cd) value of 0.2, and drag of less than 0.49m2. Incidentally, the A-Class Sedan inherits the title from the Mercedes-Benz CLA Coupe, keeping the record in the family. The new A-Class Sedan has made its debut at the Beijing Motor Show earlier this year in an longer wheelbase L version, specifically for the Chinese market.
A major advantage for users will be that with lower drag comes better fuel efficiency. Mercedes-Benz optimised the aerodynamics on the A-Class with multiple computation loops, as well as simulations in their wind tunnel in Sindelfingen. The biggest change comes from a small frontal area, which measures 2.19m2. Other aspects including full panel for the underbody, as well as extensive sealing of areas such as the headlamp surrounds, have also played a role.
Mercedes-Benz further tuned the front and rear wheel spoilers to route the air around the wheels at the best possible efficiency. To aid the routing of air, the company also includes a two-part shutter system behind the front diamond grille. The A-Class Sedan has not been confirmed for India yet. The A-Class hatchback had made its debut at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show.
Starts Rs 29.9 Lakhs
Starts Rs 31.72 Lakhs
- NewsExclusive Mini Convertible Sidewalk Edition launched at Rs 44.9 lakh
- NewsRenault Kwid Neotech edition launched in India, prices start from Rs 4.30 lakh
- NewsUpcoming Tata Altroz turbo-petrol specs and prices leaked ahead of launch
- NewsFirst-ever Hyundai i20 N Line revealed, with same mechanicals but sportier looks
- Review2020 Skoda Rapid TSI automatic road test review