Mercedes-Benz India crosses 13,000 units for second year in a row
The year 2016 wasn't confidence inspiring for the entire automobile industry. The year started with diesel ban in the key Delhi-NCR market and ended with demonetisation. In between there were high excise duty and rising prices. Amidst these market challenges, Mercedes-Benz India has registered more than 13,000 units in annual sales for the second year in row.
The German luxury carmaker sold 13,231 units in India last year, a marginal slip from 13,502 units in 2015, buoyed by its product strategy with all the segments. Its luxury SUV range - which includes the GLA, GLC, GLE, GLE Coupé, GLS and G-Class - grew by more than 20 per cent in the previous calendar year.
It was the year for SUVs, and the highest-selling SUV for the Mercedes-Benz India in 2016 was the GLE. However, the C-Class again emerged the highest-selling luxury sedan for the brand in 2016, closely followed by the E-Class and S-Class. This is the second consecutive year that the C-Class bagged the top-seller spot, replacing the E-Class sedan since 2015.
Surprisingly, the performance brand Mercedes-AMG and the Dream Cars witnessed the highest growth in 2016.
Although automobile sales growth rate in India slipped to a 16-year low in December 2016, Mercedes-Benz India did the miracle. Vehicles across all categories sold 12,21,929 units last month, slipped from 15,02,314 units in December 2015, but Mercedes-Benz's December 2016 sales were higher than the same month last year.
- NewsNational Racing Championship 2018 : Arjun Narendran dominates the ITC class in Round 3
- News2018 Blancpain GT Series Asia: Aditya Patel and OD Racing finish in the points at Fuji Speedway
- News2018 Baja Aragon: Sherco TVS factory rally team's Michael Metge wins 35th edition of event
- NewsFCA appoints Mike Manley as the new CEO
- NewsEXCLUSIVE: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT to be launched in India in early September
- NewsConfirmed: Bajaj Auto to introduce Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 and Svartpilen 401 motorcycles in India next year
- NewsNew Hyundai Santro/Atos spotted testing again before launch
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Jeet Jhabakh and Dhruv Mohite end Round 2 on a high note
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Saurav Bandyopadhyay wins opening race of Round 2 at MMRT
- NewsSpec comparison: BMW G 310 GS vs Royal Enfield Himalayan FI vs Kawasaki Versys-X 300