Mercedes-Benz India says their vehicles can run on bio-diesel
The Supreme Court of India had recently extended the ban on registration of cars and SUV's powered by diesel engines with cubic capacity of 2.0-litre or above within the NCR region till April 30, 2016. This directive was first issued in December, 2015 and was supposed to cease on March 31, 2016. Manufacturers with diesel vehicles powered by 2.0-litre capacity and above in their model line-up have been hit hard by this ban.
Worst of all there is no clarity as to whether the ban could be extended again or will come into effect in other cities. Most car manufacturers have been trying to find ways to get around this ban. Mahindra was quick to respond by introducing a new 1.99-litre diesel engine for the XUV500 and the Scorpio.
Now, Mercedes-Benz has made an offer to the concerned authorities to run it's cars and trucks on bio-diesel. "Mercedes has given me a letter that they can use 100 per cent bio-diesel in their cars and trucks," said Nitin Gadkari, Road Transport and Highways Minister. He also said that the Mercedes-India had met him and stated that the standards prescribed for bio-diesel by the Indian government can be used in all Mercedes-Benz vehicles.
"We are going to issue the notification in this regard (bio-fuel)," said Gadkari and further added that the government has already issued a directive for blending bio-fuel with normal diesel. Gadkari also commented that his ministry will undertake initiatives to promote bio-fuel and it's usage will also be encouraged in highways building machinery and equipment. He revealed that other major automobile companies including JCB have shown their interest in utilising bio-diesel, ethanol and similar products which would help in lowering high pollution levels.
Starts Rs 64.06 Lakhs
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Thar Wanderlust SUV at the 2018 Auto Expo
- NewsImage gallery: Honda Sports EV concept at the Auto Expo 2018
- NewsImage gallery: Tata Tigor and Tiago JTP showcased at 2018 Auto Expo
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R15 v3
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R6
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer and MT-09 Tracer GT
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Stinger concept at the Auto Expo 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Tamo Racemo showcased, image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Honda Civic
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha MT-10