Mercedes-Maybach GLS-Class concept to be unveiled at Beijing Auto Show
Mercedes-Benz will show a near-production version of Mercedes-Maybach GLS-Class at the upcoming Beijing auto show. This comes as the Maybach nameplate, now positioned as a Mercedes sub-brand has seen success with the S-Class and G-Class Landaulet.
The GLS-class is the largest SUV in Mercedes' line-up and the Maybach version will get exterior design changes like the larger, more traditional Mercedes' grille, a slightly reworked front end, new alloy wheels, new paint options and so on. Most changes to the interior will be reserved for the back seat, which will be larger and in quilted leather. The seats should be reclining with more rear legroom and better quality materials and trim options should be available when seen alongside the standard car.
Mercedes-Maybach GLS Class rendering
Mechanically, it is thought that the Mercedes-Maybach GLS-Class will come with the powertrain option from the Maybach S560. This means a 4.0-litre twin turbo V8 good for 469PS and 700Nm. It is likely that the Maybach GLS-Class will also be offered with the plug-in hybrid powertrain recently announced in the S560e. This adds a 121PS and 440Nm 13.5 kWh electric motor to a 3.0 V6 producing 362PS and 500Nm. Combined power outputs are not known yet but the S560e is set to unveiled next year and the Maybach GLS-Class with this option should follow after that.
The Mercedes-Maybach comes as high-end SUVs like the Range Rover SVAutobiography, Bentley Bentayga and the upcoming Rolls-Royce Cullinan have all seen favourable responses from customers. These cars have shown that large SUVs are a good place to from which to start building an ultra-luxury vehicle and the GLS-Class should be a viable alternative to its competition, given the cachet of the Mercedes brand. Prices of the GLS-Class should be along the lines of the SVAutobiography, so expect a price north of Rs 2.5 crore when the car eventually launches in India.
Starts Rs 3.85 Crore
- News2018 Merzouga Rally: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia finishes seventh overall
- NewsBosch develops an automated valet parking system with e. Go
- NewsSMEV signs an MoU with TAITRA to develop EV development infrastructure
- NewsToyota wants privacy concerns addressed before it adds Android Auto
- OpinionWe make modern cars, so why not tanks?
- NewsUpcoming Lexus ES facelift teased in video ahead of Beijing Auto Show launch
- NewsHonda unveils Small RS Concept in Indonesia, preview to next Brio
- NewsDucati to offer radar, cornering ABS but not missiles on its motorcycle range
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga unveiled in Indonesia, India launch soon
- FeaturesImage Gallery: Shaken & Stirred April 2018