MG Motor India to launch three more cars in India by December 2020
Along the sidelines of the MG Hector SUV's unveiling today, OVERDRIVE learnt from Rajeev Chaba, Chairman and MD of MG Motor India, that the brand plans to launch three more cars in India by the end of next year.
Bookings for the Hector will begin in the first week of June with deliveries starting post that. The company has set up 130 customer touchpoints already, which will increase to 250 by September this year. This will be followed by the MG eZS EV which comes to market by the fourth quarter of 2019. The firm is choosing this niche model to further highlight its aim of being a technology leader in the automotive industry. A fact that the company says it has established by introducing its iSmart connected car tech in the Hector and its 48V hybrid set-up. This brings start/stop, regenerative braking and up to 20Nm torque boost to Hector's 1.5 petrol motor.
The MG eZS will be brought to the country through the CBU route wherein 250 units will be imported from Shanghai. MG claims that the eZS will be a global offering and will have a driving range of 350km in one single charge. The MG eZS could be powered by a 52.5kWh lithium-ion battery pack.
Chaba did not divulge any details about the other two cars, which will come next year. He only said that the first of these had already been finalised and the second one was on its way to be finalised. We suspect that these could be the heavily revised version of cars already being sold by MG in the Chinese market. We drove the MG6 and MG HS sometime back in China on SAIC's invitation, which makes us think that these cars might have something to do with what eventually comes to India.
We just had a first look at the Hector and the SUV seems like it might be a strong contender in its segment, currently dominated by the likes of the Jeep Compass, the Tata Harrier and the Mahindra XUV500.
Starts Rs 15.35 Lakhs
Starts Rs 12.23 Lakhs
Starts Rs 12.69 Lakhs
- NewsSuzuki Gixxer SF 250 images leaked ahead of its official launch
- NewsSuzuki Gixxer SF 155 spotted ahead of its official launch
- NewsExclusive: Hyundai Venue sub-compact SUV prices leaked ahead of its official launch
- NewsInterview: MG India's Rajeev Chaba on strategy, new products and BSVI
- NewsUpdated TVS Apache RR 310 coming soon!
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip