MG Motor to launch first car in India earlier than planned, by second quarter of 2019
MG Motor India has kicked off plans for building its brand in the country with dealer roadshows in major cities in March and April. MG Motor India is also being aggressive in its product planning and plant setup with the announcement that its first India-made product will be launched earlier than planned, by the second quarter of 2019. The company is looking at high levels of localisation for its India products, which it also plans to export in the future. It is likely that the MG ZS compact SUV is the first car it launches in India, to capture a share of the burgeoning SUV segment which will see new vehicles from various manufacturers in the near future. MG Motor India has started inviting prospective dealers by announcing dealer roadshows in Mumbai on March 28, in Delhi on April 6, and in Bengaluru on April 16, 2018.
Rajeev Chaba, president & MD, MG Motor India announces the company's plans in the presence of executive director P Balendran
After its first vehicle is launched in 2019, the company has stated that it plans to introduce one new vehicle every year. With R&D support from its parent company SAIC, MG Motor India is also considering offering new energy vehicles which include electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrids.
Speaking about the company's India plans, Rajeev Chaba, president and MD, MG Motor India, said that the MG brand seeks to embrace future technology while also cherishing its Biritsh heritage. "Our aim is to provide vehicles that will be new-age and very contemporary, with a premium image and great value," he said.
In its first video for India, MG Motor had teased the ZS crossover, which has similar dimensions as the Hyundai Creta currently sold in India. The company has set up its production facility in Gujarat, where it recently took over GM's Halol plant. This plant will have a production capacity of 80,000 to 85,000 units per annum. MG Motors has a relatively small line-up globally and we expect them to bring it here as well. MG Motor India will also compete in the growing SUV market with an all-new product. It will be positioned in the same segment as the Hyundai Creta, Honda BR-V and the Renault Duster.
Starts Rs 9.45 Lakhs
Starts Rs 9.44 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.29 Lakhs
- News2018 MotoGP season comes to a dramatic end, Dovizioso wins 'two-part' rain soaked race
- News2018 JK NRC: Karthik Tharani wins 2018 Euro JK 18 championship
- NewsMarc Marquez dominates Sunday morning warm-up at Valencia for 2018 MotoGP season finale
- NewsVinales secures pole position for 2018 MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Marquez qualifies fifth despite crash
- News2018 JK NRC: Nayan Chatterjee and Karthik Tharani take Euro JK 18 championship down to the wire
- Review2018 TVS Radeon road test review
- News2018 Mahindra Alturas G4: Preliminary image gallery
- NewsVinod Dasari resigns as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review
- NewsSpec comparo: Jawa vs Royal Enfield Classic 350