MG Motor's first offering in India will be a premium SUV rivaling the Jeep Compass
Sources on the internet have revealed that MG Motor's upcoming premium SUV offering in the country will rival the Jeep Compass. This will be the first car in the company's line-up when it debut's in India by June 2019. The SUV will be based on an existing platform but will be an exclusive offering for India and not a product from its international portfolio like the ZS or GS.
A representative from the company has stated that this SUV will carry a traditional SUV stance and not be modelled as a crossover. The car will be a premium offering starting at around the Rs 14 lakh mark. Consequently, the brand is working on ensuring its sales experience and after sales support is befitting of a product in this price range.
SAIC-owned MG Motor is investing Rs 5,000 crores in the country over the next six years and plans to launch one new model each year up to 2021. It will be manufacturing its products at the old GM plant in Halol, Gujarat and will incorporate a high level of localisation into its products-up to 80 percent. It recently held dealer roadshows to build up a strong network before starting full-fledged operations.
This development comes even as another new entrant in the car market, Kia, is starting out with an SUV as its first product. As is the case globally, in India too SUVs and crossovers have started to become the preferred body style for car-buyers in most market segments and sedans are continuing to steadily lose favour with consumers.
Starts Rs 14.95 Lakhs
- NewsAudi Q5L unveiled before Auto China 2018 debut
- NewsHero Motocorp revises prices across its entire range by up to Rs 625
- NewsSuzuki Ertiga rival Mitsubishi Xpander MPV exports begin from Indonesia
- News2018 Toyota Yaris: Variant-wise price guide
- News2018 Toyota Yaris launched in India at Rs 8.75 lakh
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander bookings open in India
- News2018 Suzuki GSX-S750: Four things you will like and three you won't
- Features2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S long term review: After 16,700km and fourteen months
- NewsAuto China 2018: BMW M2 Competition debuts in China
- NewsAuto China 2018: Vision Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept showcased