MG Motor's first offering in India will be a premium SUV rivaling the Jeep Compass
Sources on the internet have revealed that MG Motor's upcoming premium SUV offering in the country will rival the Jeep Compass. This will be the first car in the company's line-up when it debut's in India by June 2019. The SUV will be based on an existing platform but will be an exclusive offering for India and not a product from its international portfolio like the ZS or GS.
A representative from the company has stated that this SUV will carry a traditional SUV stance and not be modelled as a crossover. The car will be a premium offering starting at around the Rs 14 lakh mark. Consequently, the brand is working on ensuring its sales experience and after sales support is befitting of a product in this price range.
SAIC-owned MG Motor is investing Rs 5,000 crores in the country over the next six years and plans to launch one new model each year up to 2021. It will be manufacturing its products at the old GM plant in Halol, Gujarat and will incorporate a high level of localisation into its products-up to 80 percent. It recently held dealer roadshows to build up a strong network before starting full-fledged operations.
This development comes even as another new entrant in the car market, Kia, is starting out with an SUV as its first product. As is the case globally, in India too SUVs and crossovers have started to become the preferred body style for car-buyers in most market segments and sedans are continuing to steadily lose favour with consumers.
Starts Rs 15.35 Lakhs
- NewsImage gallery: Koeniggsegg Regera KNC
- NewsHonda X-Blade launched with ABS at Rs 87,776
- NewsThis is the most outrageous Koenigsegg Regera hypercar yet
- News2019 BMW X4 coupe-SUV spotted testing in India, launch early next year
- NewsAutomobili Pininfarina's 1900PS hypercar will be called Battista
- NewsNissan Kicks SUV bookings to open on December 14
- NewsDiscounts of up to Rs 50,000 offered on BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS
- NewsIndian FTR 1200 launched in India at Rs 14.99 lakh, deliveries April 2019 onwards
- NewsLive updates: 2019 India-spec Nissan Kicks
- NewsImage gallery: India-spec 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV interior