MotoE: Fire at Jerez destroys all 18 Energica Ego Corsa EV motorcycles
All 18 of the Energica Ego Corsa EV motorcycles that were set to compete in the inaugural FIM Enel MotoE World Cup were destroyed in a fire. This happened when the bikes were parked in the newly-built MotoE paddock in Spain, after the first day of pre-season testing.
The entire fleet of MotoE Championship Energica Ego motorcycles burned down at Jerez
No injuries were reported but a statement released by the organisers says that the opening race at Jerez, set to be held between May 3-5, has since been cancelled. The MotoE championship was announced last year as a support race for the MotoGP world championship. Races were to be held on the same weekend, but over a shorter, 10 lap duration over five rounds.
Outfits run by Tech 3, Pramac, LCR, Avintia, SIC Racing (which runs the Petronas Yamaha outfit) and Gresini are some of the 12 teams set to compete in this championship. It is now expected that the championship will debut at the French Grand Prix at Le Mans, where the second round was to be held, two weeks after the original start date. Notable riders are Sete Gibernau, Bradley Smith and Xavier Simeon.
The other races are to be held at Sachsenring in July, at the Red Bull Ring in August and a double-header finale in Misano. The organisers will possibly add another venue to the list to make up for the cancellation of the Jerez round.
Speaking of this, the organisers said, "Dorna Sports and all our partners in this new venture are committed to getting the FIM Enel MotoE World Cup back on track as soon as possible, with work already underway to begin rebuilding and replacing materials and motorcycles lost in the fire. MotoE will race in 2019 and a revised calendar will be announced in due course".
- NewsRudratej Singh former Royal Enfield global president - appointed president and CEO of BMW Group India
- NewsNew Castrol POWER1 engine oil range launched in India, offers smoother performance and higher efficiency
- NewsRenault to end production of diesel cars by 2020 - to focus on locally manufacturing EVs by 2022
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Kia Seltos unveiled in India
- News2019 Kia Seltos SUV offers six airbags, bounty of safety features and a terrain management system!