MotoGP 2016: Jorge Lorenzo wins at Mugello
Jorge Lorenzo and the Movistar Yamaha crew celebrate his win at Mugello
The last lap of the MotoGP round at Mugello was a nail-biter. Jorge Lorenzo and Marc Marquez really fought hard, nay tooth and nail and other such cliches, for the win. But it was Lorenzo who ultimately triumphed, taking home Yamaha's 100th MotoGP victory.
It wasn't all smiles in the Yamaha camp though, with home hero and pole man Valentino Rossi's race ending in a cloud of smoke as the engine on his M1 gave up on Lap 9 of the race. This, when Rossi had been chasing after his team-mate, hoping to close in on him and take the race lead. But in front of a crowd of fans at Mugello, The Doctor had to abandon his motorcycle, blown engine and all, and hitch a ride back to the pits.
Further reason for worried looks within the Yamaha camp came because Rossi's wasn't the only engine to blow at Mugello. Lorenzo had also lost an engine on race day, fortunately for him during the morning warm up.
With Rossi no longer in the hunt, it was Marc Marquez's turn to start attacking Jorge, the Repsol Honda inching its way closer to the race leader. Behind them, Andrea Iannone, who had had a terrible start to the race, dropping down the order on the first lap, had worked his way back to the front. Iannone would overtake his team-mate Andrea Dovizioso and clinch third.
But the battle for first was, as previously mentioned, nail-biting. Marquez came through to take the lead on the very last corner of the last lap, and it really did look as though he was going to cross the chequered flag first. But Lorenzo blazed past at the very end, winning.
Behind the top three, Dani Pedrosa finished fourth for Repsol Honda, Dovizioso fifth on the second Ducati, with Suzuki's Maverick Vinales sixth after starting from the front row.
Top satellite rider was Bradley Smith, finishing seventh on the Monster Yamaha Tech3 M1.
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Dhruv Mohite wins Race 1 at season-opener at Kari Motor Speedway
- NewsIndian National Racing Championship 2018: Round 2 free practice sees Arjun Balu make a successful return
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa