MotoGP 2016: Marquez continues COTA pole streak
Marc Marquez claimed his fourth consecutive pole position at the Circuit of the Americas, with the fastest qualifying lap at the 2016 Austin MotoGP round
Can Marc Marquez take his fourth consecutive victory at the Circuit of the Americas? It could well happen, given that the Repsol Honda rider has managed to take his fourth straight pole in Austin.
Marquez clocked the fastest time during qualifying, with a timing of 2min 03.188sec on his first flying lap. He thus displaced Jorge Lorenzo from provisional pole, which the reigning world champion had held onto during the initial stages of the session. Lorenzo, who ended the session a mere 0.069sec off Marquez's pace had to settle for second spot on the grid.
Lining up alongside them on the front row of the grid, is the second of the Yamahas, with Valentino Rossi ending qualifying 1.1sec slower than pole-man Marquez.
The second row of the grid sees Ducati's Andrea Iannone in fourth place. Indeed, Iannone will be hoping to perform better at COTA, after his last corner crash at Argentina last week. Joining him on the second row, are Suzuki's Maverick Vinales who set the fifth fastest time of the session, and Cal Crutchlow who was sixth fastest.
Row three's top spot went to the second of the Ducatis, with Andrea Dovizioso qualifying seventh. It was disappointment for Dani Pedrosa, who could put the second of the Repsol Hondas no higher than eighth place. The second of the Suzuki GSX-RRs, piloted by Aleix Espargaro, took ninth.
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsTriumph Bonneville Speedmaster to launch in India on February 27, 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Mahindra KUV100 Adventure Edition image gallery
- NewsGeneva Motor Show: Tata 45X based sedan teased
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Hyundai Elite i20 facelift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha Motoroid concept
- NewsImage gallery: Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
- NewsWRC 2018: Hyundai's Thierry Neuville victorious at Rally Sweden
- NewsImage gallery: Honda Clarity fuel cell FCV
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha M-Slaz
- NewsImage gallery: TVS Creon concept