MotoGP 2017: Andrea Dovizioso claims Italian GP victory for Ducati
Andrea Dovizioso took a fine victory at the Italian Grand Prix, in front of his home fans at Mugello. The Italian rider, astride his Ducati GP17, claimed the Italian team's first win at the track since Casey Stoner won there for them in 2009. It was to be Dovi's first win in the dry in MotoGP's premier class. What made the victory even more heroic was the fact that Dovi was ill, suffering from a bout of food poisoning so bad, that he couldn't take part in morning warm-up. Despite this, he claimed victory from second-placed Maverick Vinales, who was 1.281 sec adrift, and third-placed Danilo Petrucci.
Andrea Dovizioso celebrates victory at the Italian GP, as Maverick Vinales and Danilo Petrucci look on
Yamaha rider Vinales had managed to take his second-place finish, after he increased the gap over Pramac Ducati rider, Petrucci. In fact, it was Petrucci who managed to impress, catching and passing Yamaha's Valentino Rossi. Although Rossi had managed to battle it out at the front of the pack through the race, he eventually finished fourth, 1.3 seconds away from Petrucci, still suffering from the after effects of a motocross accident that left him with chest and stomach injuries.
The win was Ducati's first at the track since Casey Stoner's victory at Mugello in 2009
Alvaro Bautista rode impressively to finish fifth for Aspar Ducati, while reigning champion Marc Marquez could do no better than sixth place. He was the best-placed Repsol Honda, with team-mate Dani Pedrosa crashing on the last lap after a badly timed move on LCR Honda's Cal Crutchlow.
Here, Dovi leads from Petrucci and Vinales
Seventh place went to Tech 3 Yamaha's Johann Zarco, while Jorge Lorenzo finished eighth for Ducati. Michele Pirro, Ducati's wild-card entry finished ninth, while Suzuki's Andrea Iannone rounded off the top 10.
Maverick Vinales now leads the championship by 26 points from Andrea Dovizioso. MotoGP will now head to Catalunya for the race in a week's time.
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
- News2018 Kawasaki Z900RS launched in India at Rs 15.3 lakh
- NewsBMW Motorrad cuts motorcycle prices by 10 per cent in India
- Review2018 Ferrari Portofino first drive review
- News2018 Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X and Thunderbird 350X to be launched in India on February 28, 2018
- NewsKia installs framework of its new manufacturing plant in Andhra Pradesh
- NewsMotoGP: Tech3 and Yamaha to part ways after 2018 season
- Review2018 Yamaha MT-09 first ride review
- NewsSkoda India to hike prices of all models
- NewsDucati launches extended warranty program in India
- News2018 F1: All the Formula 1 cars for the upcoming season launched so far