MotoGP 2017: Andrea Dovizioso claims Italian GP victory for Ducati
Andrea Dovizioso took a fine victory at the Italian Grand Prix, in front of his home fans at Mugello. The Italian rider, astride his Ducati GP17, claimed the Italian team's first win at the track since Casey Stoner won there for them in 2009. It was to be Dovi's first win in the dry in MotoGP's premier class. What made the victory even more heroic was the fact that Dovi was ill, suffering from a bout of food poisoning so bad, that he couldn't take part in morning warm-up. Despite this, he claimed victory from second-placed Maverick Vinales, who was 1.281 sec adrift, and third-placed Danilo Petrucci.
Andrea Dovizioso celebrates victory at the Italian GP, as Maverick Vinales and Danilo Petrucci look on
Yamaha rider Vinales had managed to take his second-place finish, after he increased the gap over Pramac Ducati rider, Petrucci. In fact, it was Petrucci who managed to impress, catching and passing Yamaha's Valentino Rossi. Although Rossi had managed to battle it out at the front of the pack through the race, he eventually finished fourth, 1.3 seconds away from Petrucci, still suffering from the after effects of a motocross accident that left him with chest and stomach injuries.
The win was Ducati's first at the track since Casey Stoner's victory at Mugello in 2009
Alvaro Bautista rode impressively to finish fifth for Aspar Ducati, while reigning champion Marc Marquez could do no better than sixth place. He was the best-placed Repsol Honda, with team-mate Dani Pedrosa crashing on the last lap after a badly timed move on LCR Honda's Cal Crutchlow.
Here, Dovi leads from Petrucci and Vinales
Seventh place went to Tech 3 Yamaha's Johann Zarco, while Jorge Lorenzo finished eighth for Ducati. Michele Pirro, Ducati's wild-card entry finished ninth, while Suzuki's Andrea Iannone rounded off the top 10.
Maverick Vinales now leads the championship by 26 points from Andrea Dovizioso. MotoGP will now head to Catalunya for the race in a week's time.
- News2018 Ford Aspire facelift bookings open in India ahead of launch
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims Aragon GP victory
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907
- NewsSkoda appoints Pavel Richter as production technical director of its India 2.0 project
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 riding gear and apparel
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 accessories
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV