MotoGP 2017: Andrea Dovizioso wins the Catalan GP
It was probably one of the most surreal MotoGP races in history. The Spanish GP in Catalunya, Spain had its share of thrills and spills with some unexpected results. Factory Ducati rider Andrea Dovizioso secured his second win of the season, a week after an epic victory at the Italian Grand Prix in Mugello. The Italian looked comfortable in the baking hot conditions in Catalunya as he led the race by quite a margin, before crossing the finish line, 3.5 seconds ahead of Repsol Honda rider Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa who finished second and third respectively.
Pole sitter got off to a brilliant start in the beginning as the field followed him into Turn 1. Marc Marquez had an early scare as an out of control Danilo Petrucci weaved into him. Both riders managed to stay on the bike and continue racing.
The searing hot conditions had made it imperative to conserve tyres and it was down to tyre management with each passing lap.
DesmoDovi's team mate Jorge Lorenzo made a brilliant start, leading the GP for a brief period before falling down the order, in a similar fashion to what we saw in the Italian GP. In the latter half of the race, Lorenzo found a little more grip in his hard front and rear tyres and he made a valiant effort to claw his way back to fourth at the end of the race.
Meanwhile, Movistar Yamaha riders Valentino Rossi and Maverick Vinales tried to salvage what they could after a disastrous qualifying. The duo struggled for pace as their M1's tyre began to deteriorate. Rossi finished on P8 while Vinales finished on P10, the championship leader holding on by a slim margin in the standings.
Dovizioso, meanwhile is second in the championship with a 7 point deficit to Vinales. Marc Marquez is third a further 23 points behind the leader.
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Dhruv Mohite wins Race 1 at season-opener at Kari Motor Speedway
- NewsIndian National Racing Championship 2018: Round 2 free practice sees Arjun Balu make a successful return
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa