MotoGP 2017: Marquez ties for championship lead after Misano win
Marc Marquez's fine victory at Sunday's San Marino GP has resulted in him tying for points at the head of the 2017 MotoGP championship standings with Andrea Dovizioso. The Repsol Honda rider won the race at Misano after a penultimate lap move on Pramac Ducati's Danilo Petrucci. Marquez then pulled into the lead and took the win.
Marc Marquez muscles his way past Danilo Petrucci to take first place at Misano
While Petrucci had to settle for second place, it was a disappointing outing for Ducati's Andrea Dovizioso. Dovi finished a long way back in third place, relinquishing his championship lead. Both Marquez and Dovi are tied for points on 199. Each rider also has four wins this season.
Marquez celebrates his win with the Repsol Honda team
At the start of the race though, it was Dovi's team-mate, Jorge Lorenzo who led the way. The Spaniard took the lead when the race began, and managed to open up a gap of two seconds to the riders behind him. But a high side on Turn 6 on the seventh lap of the race sent him into retirement.
Dovizioso is tied for the championship lead with Marquez. Here he is chasing Marquez at Misano
Fourth place went to Maverick Vinales, who had started out on pole position. Vinales has managed to keep his championship title hopes alive, and currently has 183 points, good for third in the standings. Valentino Rossi still occupies fourth place in the championship standings, despite having missed his home race after a training injury. Fifth in the championship standings is Dani Pedrosa, who endured a tough race, finishing fourteenth.
It was a strong race for Michele Pirro who took a fifth-place finish, while Scott Miller took sixth place, Scott Redding finished seventh, and Alex Rins took eighth spot. Jonas Folger finished ninth, and Bradley Smith took tenth place.
It was a heroic finish for Johann Zarco, who took one final point finishing 15th, after having pushed his Tech 3 Yamaha over the finish line.
- FeaturesBean counters: Observations from the 2018 Rally of Chikmagalur
- NewsINRC 2019: Champions Group announced as new promoters for national rally championship beginning 2019
- News2018 INMRC: TVS Racing's Jagan Kumar wins the Super Sport 165cc championship
- News2019 Suzuki Hayabusa bookings open in India at Rs 1 lakh
- NewsDroom hosts India's first pre-owned automotive awards
- NewsNew Land Rover Defender teased, will debut in 2019
- NewsMahindra XUV300 SUV is the official name of S201, to be launched in February 2019
- NewsLive updates: Mahindra S201 sub-four-metre SUV name announcement
- News2019 Honda Civic spotted testing in India ahead of launch
- NewsVolkswagen ID electric hatchback begins testing, to have 550 km range