MotoGP 2017: Vinales claims Aragon pole as Rossi qualifies third
Despite having one injured rider, Movistar Yamaha had an excellent qualifying session at the Aragon GP. Maverick Vinales took pole position for the team, setting the fastest lap time all afternoon - 1min 47.635sec.
Movistar Yamaha's Maverick Vinales took pole position at the Aragon GP, while injured Valentino Rossi qualified third.
The big surprise came courtesy his team-mate, Valentino Rossi, who was riding a little over 20 days after breaking his tibia and fibula, who took third spot on the grid, with a timing of 1min 47.815sec. Splitting the two Yamaha riders was Ducati's Jorge Lorenzo, who qualified second-fastest (1min 47.735sec).
Indeed, it looked like it was going to be Repsol Honda's Marc Marquez who would be on pole position at Aragon, however, the Spaniard fell on his very last run, and thus was relegated to fifth position on the grid. This was one spot behind LCR Honda's Cal Crutchlow, who took fourth position. The second Repsol Honda of Dani Pedrosa completes the second row of the grid, with a sixth-fastest qualifying time.
The third row of the grid sees Ducati's Andrea Dovizioso lining up seventh, with Aprilia's Aleix Espargaro eighth and Aspar Ducati's Alvaro Bautista ninth.
Tenth on the timesheets went to Andrea Iannone, with Johann Zarco eleventh, and Mika Kallio taking the twelfth spot on the grid.
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show