MotoGP 2018: Andrea Dovizioso wins thrilling season opener at Qatar
Andrea Dovizioso took first place at the season-opening round of the 2018 MotoGP championship at Qatar. The Ducati rider held off a hard-charging Marc Marquez on the last lap of the race, and clinched victory at the event. Marquez finished second for Repsol Honda, while Valentino Rossi finished third for Yamaha.
While Dovizioso didn't have the easiest of starts in the race, it was Johann Zarco of the Tech 3 Yamaha outfit who led the pack from pole. The Frenchman held onto his position until the 15th lap, which is when Dovi made it through to the lead.
Marquez made it to second on track on the same lap, after which he set about pursuing Dovi. While we were treated to a fine battle for victory, it was a throwback to 2017, it was surprise package Valentino Rossi who muscled his way to third position for Yamaha.
Behind, Zarco was slipping down the order, and would eventually end up eighth, in what was ultimately a disappointing outing under the floodlights of Qatar for him.
It was Cal Crutchlow who moved into fourth place, finishing first of all the independent runners, while Danilo Petrucci took fifth place.
Maverick Vinales took sixth place for Movistar Yamaha, making a good recovery after having qualified no higher than 12th.
Dani Pedrosa took seventh place on the second Honda, while Andrea Iannone took ninth for Suzuki Ecstar. Tenth place went to Pramac Ducati's Jack Miller.
Pol Espargaro, Alex Rins and Jorge Lorenzo were the three retirements from the race.
- NewsJeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk can make 1,000PS+, ask Hennessey Performance
- NewsRange Rover Velar launched in Malaysia at RM529,800
- News2018 Merzouga Rally: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia ranked eighth overall after Stage 3
- NewsInterview: Gaurav Gill on competing in the WRC 2 championship with Team MRF in 2018
- NewsYamaha FZ 25 wins India Design Mark (I Mark) Awards 2018
- NewsBMW M2 Competition revealed with 405PS
- News2018 Ashok Leyland Annual Global Conference held in Chennai
- News2018 BMW X3 launched in India starting at Rs 49.99 lakh
- News2018 Mahindra XUV500 facelift: Top five things that you should know
- NewsOfficial: BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS bookings have NOT begun in India