MotoGP 2018: Jorge Lorenzo takes victory at Red Bull Ring
The MotoGP round at the Red Bull Ring in Austria went very well for Jorge Lorenzo, who managed to take his third victory of the 2018 season. This was despite the fact that Marc Marquez did lead the race for a long time, until the Ducatis managed to come close enough for proper scrapping to begin.
During the closing stages of the race, it was Lorenzo who put on a stunning show astride his Ducati, managing to take victory away from the Repsol Honda rider. The pair swapped positions several times, even as Andrea Dovizioso, on the second GP18 faded away into the distance.
2018 MotoGP Austria winner Jorge Lorenzo celebrates on the podium
In the end, it was Marquez who led into the final lap, but Lorenzo managed to move into the lead at Turn 1, and hold off a hard challenge from Marquez at the third turn, eventually crossing the chequered flag first. While Marquez was second, Dovi would have to settle for third place.
Cal Crutchlow of LCR Honda took fourth place, ahead of Danilo Petrucci on the Pramac Ducati.
Valentino Rossi took an impressive sixth place, after having qualified 14th, finishing ahead of Dani Pedrosa on the second Repsol Honda, and Alex Rins astride the Suzuki.
It was a close battle for first place at the Red Bull Ring, with Lorenzo and Marquez battling for position, while Dovizioso slowly dropped back
Tech 3 Yamaha's Johann Zarco took ninth place, followed closely by Alvaro Bautista astride the Angel Nieto Ducati in tenth. Avinitia Ducati's Tito Rabat finished eleventh. It was another less than perfect start for Maverick Vinales, who managed to end the race twelfth on the second factory Yamaha.
Andrea Iannone ended the race in thirteenth place, ahead of Bradley Smith on the Red Bull KTM, while LCR Honda's Takaaki Nakagami finished fifteenth, the last of the points scorers.
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV prices to increase by up to Rs 40,000 from January 2019
- News2018 MotoGP season comes to a dramatic end, Dovizioso wins 'two-part' rain soaked race
- News2018 JK NRC: Karthik Tharani wins 2018 Euro JK 18 championship
- NewsMarc Marquez dominates Sunday morning warm-up at Valencia for 2018 MotoGP season finale
- NewsVinales secures pole position for 2018 MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Marquez qualifies fifth despite crash
- News2018 JK NRC: Nayan Chatterjee and Karthik Tharani take Euro JK 18 championship down to the wire
- Review2018 TVS Radeon road test review
- News2018 Mahindra Alturas G4: Preliminary image gallery
- NewsVinod Dasari resigns as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review