MotoGP 2018: Jorge Lorenzo takes victory at Red Bull Ring
The MotoGP round at the Red Bull Ring in Austria went very well for Jorge Lorenzo, who managed to take his third victory of the 2018 season. This was despite the fact that Marc Marquez did lead the race for a long time, until the Ducatis managed to come close enough for proper scrapping to begin.
During the closing stages of the race, it was Lorenzo who put on a stunning show astride his Ducati, managing to take victory away from the Repsol Honda rider. The pair swapped positions several times, even as Andrea Dovizioso, on the second GP18 faded away into the distance.
2018 MotoGP Austria winner Jorge Lorenzo celebrates on the podium
In the end, it was Marquez who led into the final lap, but Lorenzo managed to move into the lead at Turn 1, and hold off a hard challenge from Marquez at the third turn, eventually crossing the chequered flag first. While Marquez was second, Dovi would have to settle for third place.
Cal Crutchlow of LCR Honda took fourth place, ahead of Danilo Petrucci on the Pramac Ducati.
Valentino Rossi took an impressive sixth place, after having qualified 14th, finishing ahead of Dani Pedrosa on the second Repsol Honda, and Alex Rins astride the Suzuki.
It was a close battle for first place at the Red Bull Ring, with Lorenzo and Marquez battling for position, while Dovizioso slowly dropped back
Tech 3 Yamaha's Johann Zarco took ninth place, followed closely by Alvaro Bautista astride the Angel Nieto Ducati in tenth. Avinitia Ducati's Tito Rabat finished eleventh. It was another less than perfect start for Maverick Vinales, who managed to end the race twelfth on the second factory Yamaha.
Andrea Iannone ended the race in thirteenth place, ahead of Bradley Smith on the Red Bull KTM, while LCR Honda's Takaaki Nakagami finished fifteenth, the last of the points scorers.
- News2019 Euro NASCAR: Advait Deodhar scores rookie podium despite difficult season-opener
- FeaturesIndian Election Campaign Vehicles (IECV)
- NewsHyundai Venue: How does it stack up against the competition?
- NewsLimited edition Aston Martin DBS 59 pays homage to the company's 1959 win at Le Mans
- NewsTata Altroz spotted on test in Mumbai - India launch soon
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip