MS Dhoni fined for registering his Hummer H2 as Scorpio in Ranchi
The Indian Cricket team's ODI captain, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, has been asked to cough up a fine for registering his Hummer H2 as a Mahindra Scorpio. He bought the SUV in 2009 and registered it in his hometown, Ranchi.
The District Transport Officer (DTO) of Ranch, Nagendra Paswan said that Dhoni has not paid the tax for the Hummer since 2010. He also clarified that the vehicle was registered as a Scorpio since, at that time, there was no option to select the brand Hummer. The typist had to select the Indian brand in order to fill additional details and complete the registration.
The registration tax that's levied for a Mahindra Scorpio was Rs 56,000 in 2009, whereas the Hummer's would have been Rs 4 lakh (Dhoni bought it for Rs 1 crore). He'll have to now pay the difference as well as a fine. In addition, Dhoni has the option to pay a one time tax, in case he hasn't, Paswan added.
The question that needs to be answered is, didn't anyone including Dhoni check the registration papers to date? Has he been driving around, turning a blind eye to the law? Do transport departments allow celebrities the leeway to get away from paying their dues? How has the transport department of Ranchi suddenly woken up from its slumber? Is it because the 2016 T20 Cricket World Championship is underway?
While there are many questions that need answers, this definitely is not the first time that a celebrity has been caught evading taxes.
Starts Rs 10.05 Lakhs
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez wins the World Championship
- ReviewSuzuki V-Strom 650 XT ABS first ride review
- NewsMG Motor India's first launch: Everything we know
- NewsVolkswagen Passat with Connect app launched at Rs 25.99 lakh
- News2019 Hyundai Santro spotted in top-spec Asta trim
- NewsHero Destini 125cc scooter to launch on October 22
- NewsChinese carmaker Great Wall Motors to enter India by 2021-22
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally