New-gen Hyundai Verna teased, to be launched in India in August 2017
The Hyundai Verna has always been one of the best selling C+ sedans in the country. While Honda has already brought in the new City and Maruti Suzuki has got the Ciaz, Hyundai will soon be launching the new-gen Verna in India to set a new benchmark in this segment. Apart from the new design language that makes it more premium, it will also get a revision in the powertrain and dynamics department.
To build on the hype, Hyundai India has put up a teaser image of the new-gen Verna on their official website. Not that we aren't aware of how the new-gen sedan looks as earlier this year Hyundai revealed it at the Toronto Motor Show. The new-gen Verna bears design resemblance with the more premium Elantra, that can be seen with the new wrap-around headlights with LED daytime running lights. This, we believe, will be offered only on the top spec variant. There is a sharper profile line running along the length while the rear bumper design has been updated as well. While the previous gen model was all about fluidic lines, Hyundai has gone in for a sophisticated and an understated design for the new Verna. The higher spec variants ride on new 17-inch alloys. The rear profile has been updated with new LED taillights that is also seen on the Elantra.
In terms of dimensions, the new-gen Hyundai Verna has grown by 70mm in length, 29mm in width and also has a 10mm longer wheelbase. The height of the sedan has been left unchanged. With the altered dimensions, we believe, the rear cabin area will be more spacious and offer better knee room for taller passengers. This was a particular area wherein the Honda City and the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz scored more above the Hyundai Verna.
The cabin of the new-gen Hyundai Verna is also expected to go through a major revision with a new 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system. Now that the Xcent, Grand and the Elantra have got it, the new-gen Verna too will come with Car Play and Android Auto connectivity options. The trims layout and the material used are also expected to get a premium makeover when compared to the previous model.
The new-gen Verna will be powered by an updated 1.6-litre Gamma 4-cylinder Gasoline Direct Injected (GDI) engine. The power rating has been increased from 123PS to 132PS whereas the torque output has gone up marginally to 161Nm. Hyundai states that the engine's powerband has improved with a 4.6 per cent increase in torque. The company also claims that the acceleration performance for 40-80 kmph and 80-120 kmph has been improved over the previous model by 0.2 and 1.3 seconds. Apart from this new powertrain, we believe Hyundai will retain the other petrol and diesel engines in the new-gen Verna.
Starts Rs 7.8 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.77 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.19 Lakhs
- NewsLive Updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 global launch
- NewsTriumph India to launch Scrambler 1200 in January 2019, 5 other launches by June
- News2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650: The four things you wanted to know
- NewsBetter recognition needed in order for Indian motorsport to grow says Gautam Singhania
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Aston Martin Vantage launched in India
- NewsThe 510PS Aston Martin Vantage has been launched in India at Rs 2.95 crore
- FeaturesOD Mercedes-Benz 24-hours Performance Run: Scale of C
- News2018 Ducati 959 Panigale Corse launched in India at Rs 15.2 lakh
- NewsMV Agusta and Pirelli Design unveil the limited edition Dragster 800 RR Pirelli
- NewsRetro-themed Peugeot e-Legend concept EV breaks cover