New-gen KTM 390 Duke spied on test
With the first generation first seen in 2012, the second in 2016, it's only logical for the third-generation of KTM's venerable street motorcycle, the 390 Duke, to make an appearance in 2020. In anticipation, and a little early, a test mule of what could be the 2021 390 Duke has been spotted undergoing testing. The tester clearly isn't wearing bodywork, but that means more of the interesting bits on the bike are on display.
A closer look at the current 390 Duke's trellis frame, engine mounting points and exhaust routing to highlight the differences
For starters, the trellis frame which has been so far unchanged, now appears to have one additional lattice girder segment, apart from being closer spaced, which should lead to better torsional rigidity. At the same time, the top-most girder doesn't look to be present on this test bike, and could result in a minimal weight saving. As a result, the frame itself seems to be positioned higher up in relation to the engine, with revised machined mounting hardware for the engine. This would suggest different, wider mounting points for the engine itself but it remains to be seen how this would affect vibration management on the motorcycle, something the KTM 390 Duke isn't exactly known to be the best at.
Moving on to what else appears to have changed on this test motorcycle a larger radiator and cooling fan setup, revised exhaust routing under the gearbox instead of over it, redesigned box-cross section swingarm, and an off-set rear monoshock. It's too early to tell what kind of mechanical upgrades we'll see on the next 390 Duke, but we do expect a modest hike in power/torque, keeping in mind updated competition.
Also apparent here is that the next-gen 390 Duke is testing alongside the upcoming, and highly awaited, 390 Adventure, which we expect soon. The new-generation KTM 390 Duke will likely be shown at the EICMA show next year, with a launch the year after that.
Image source: RideApart
Starts Rs 2,48,931
- NewsSuzuki Gixxer SF 250 images leaked ahead of its official launch
- NewsSuzuki Gixxer SF 155 spotted ahead of its official launch
- NewsExclusive: Hyundai Venue sub-compact SUV prices leaked ahead of its official launch
- NewsInterview: MG India's Rajeev Chaba on strategy, new products and BSVI
- NewsUpdated TVS Apache RR 310 coming soon!
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip