New-gen Suzuki Jimny might be unveiled at 2017 Tokyo Motor Show
Suzuki may unveil the 4th generation Jimny at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show in October. The third generation Jimny, that received a face-lift in 2013, has been around for 20 years since it made its first appearance at the 1997 Tokyo motor Show. The iconic Maruti Gypsy sold in India was based on the long-wheelbase version of the second generation Jimny.
The Jimny has been primarily a two-door off-roader. Its hardcore off-roading abilities coupled with its compact dimensions made it a huge hit soon after its launch back in 1970.
The 2018 Jimny will continue to be a 2-door design. Leaked images of renders of the 4th gen Jimny have already been floating on the internet. The front grille has a 5-slat design. It is flanked by circular headlamps on either side. The headlamp housings host separated circular turn-signals. The front bumper looks minimalist but functional and houses the fog lamps. The Jimny's flared wheel arches get a dark plastic cladding.
In tune with the exterior, the interior too employs a utilitarian design. The dash is simple and unobtrusive with chunky knobs for AC control. At the centre sits a touchscreen for the infotainment system. The instrumentation dials are large and the steering gets a three-spoke design. Also can be seen is the gear lever for an automatic gearbox.
Any details or specifications for the powertrain that will do duty in the 2018 Suzuki Jimny haven't been known yet. Seeing the previous generation models, the new Suzuki Jimny too might be offered with rear- and four-wheel drive variants. The Jimny is expected to go on sale in first quarter of 2018 in Japan and might be produce at Suzuki's Iwata plant in the country.
Image source: Motor1.com
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review
- NewsSpec comparo: Jawa vs Royal Enfield Classic 350
- NewsMercedes-Benz C-Class facelift petrol to launch in India by the end of 2018
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS launched in India at Rs 84.70 lakh
- News2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 bookings start in India, deliveries post April 2019
- News2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS four-door coupe launched in India at Rs 84.70 lakh
- NewsLive updates: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS India launch
- NewsSavita Oil Technologies to supply Tata Motors with original oils
- NewsMahindra Treo electric three-wheeler range with lithium-ion battery pack launched in India at Rs 1.36 lakh
- NewsImage gallery: Jawa and Jawa Forty Two launched in India