New-gen Suzuki Jimny might be unveiled at 2017 Tokyo Motor Show
Suzuki may unveil the 4th generation Jimny at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show in October. The third generation Jimny, that received a face-lift in 2013, has been around for 20 years since it made its first appearance at the 1997 Tokyo motor Show. The iconic Maruti Gypsy sold in India was based on the long-wheelbase version of the second generation Jimny.
The Jimny has been primarily a two-door off-roader. Its hardcore off-roading abilities coupled with its compact dimensions made it a huge hit soon after its launch back in 1970.
The 2018 Jimny will continue to be a 2-door design. Leaked images of renders of the 4th gen Jimny have already been floating on the internet. The front grille has a 5-slat design. It is flanked by circular headlamps on either side. The headlamp housings host separated circular turn-signals. The front bumper looks minimalist but functional and houses the fog lamps. The Jimny's flared wheel arches get a dark plastic cladding.
In tune with the exterior, the interior too employs a utilitarian design. The dash is simple and unobtrusive with chunky knobs for AC control. At the centre sits a touchscreen for the infotainment system. The instrumentation dials are large and the steering gets a three-spoke design. Also can be seen is the gear lever for an automatic gearbox.
Any details or specifications for the powertrain that will do duty in the 2018 Suzuki Jimny haven't been known yet. Seeing the previous generation models, the new Suzuki Jimny too might be offered with rear- and four-wheel drive variants. The Jimny is expected to go on sale in first quarter of 2018 in Japan and might be produce at Suzuki's Iwata plant in the country.
Image source: Motor1.com
- NewsNational Racing Championship 2018 : Arjun Narendran dominates the ITC class in Round 3
- News2018 Blancpain GT Series Asia: Aditya Patel and OD Racing finish in the points at Fuji Speedway
- News2018 Baja Aragon: Sherco TVS factory rally team's Michael Metge wins 35th edition of event
- NewsFCA appoints Mike Manley as the new CEO
- NewsEXCLUSIVE: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT to be launched in India in early September
- NewsConfirmed: Bajaj Auto to introduce Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 and Svartpilen 401 motorcycles in India next year
- NewsNew Hyundai Santro/Atos spotted testing again before launch
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Jeet Jhabakh and Dhruv Mohite end Round 2 on a high note
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Saurav Bandyopadhyay wins opening race of Round 2 at MMRT
- NewsSpec comparison: BMW G 310 GS vs Royal Enfield Himalayan FI vs Kawasaki Versys-X 300