New-gen Volvo V40 to be all-electric, eyeing Tesla Model 3 and Chevy Bolt EV?
Volvo has always been vocal about going all-electric with its portfolio globally. The company had already stated that it aims to sell a total of one million electrified cars by 2025 with the first all-electric offering to roll out in 2019. While Polestar will be a standalone brand that will look at providing high-performance electric cars, Volvo will be bringing electrified versions of the existing models. And the first all-electric Volvo car is said to be the new-gen V40.
The Volvo 40.2 concept
The new-gen Volvo V40 will be based on the company's CMA platform that is capable of electrification in addition to housing conventional powertrain. Though both SPA and CMA platforms are capable of electrification, the SPA platform cannot be scaled down for compact models. This makes us believe that it will be the CMA (Compact Modular Architecture) to be most likely choice for the new-gen Volvo V40. The XC40 and S40 too will be based on the same architecture. The new CMA platform shares mutable features such as powertrains, infotainment, climate control, data network and safety systems with the larger SPA platform. Volvo's new architecture will also help the brand achieve its 2020 vision of zero casualties in their cars.
It is being said that the new-gen Volvo V40 will be based on the 40.2 concept. The CMA platform that might form the underpinning can be configured for pure-electric and plug-in hybrid propulsion, as well as conventional petrol and diesel drivetrains. The new-gen Volvo V40 will have a driving range of 250-miles and will also come with numerous battery range options. Interestingly, Volvo XC40, the upcoming India-bound SUV that will be launching in India in the coming weeks, is also based on the CMA platform.
Starts Rs 26.04 Lakhs
Starts Rs 39.9 Lakhs
Team OD | 14 Sep 2018
- NewsAprilia studying the Indian market to introduce 125cc-150cc motorcycles
- NewsVolkswagen Polo GT, Vento and Jetta recalled in India
- NewsAll Aprilia and Vespa models in India to receive ABS before 2018-end
- NewsTata Tiago hatchback records its highest ever monthly sales
- News2018 Ferrari Portofino to be launched in India on September 28
- NewsRenault-Nissan-Mitsubishi and Google announce technological partnership
- NewsLimited edition Ferrari Monza SP1 and SP2 showcased
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 teased further in new video
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq RS performance SUV teased ahead of Paris Motor Show unveil
- NewsPiaggio launches updated Aprilia SR150, Vespa and mobile connectivity app