New generation i20 R5 to make its debut at Ypres Rally
The new generation Hyundai i20 R5 is all set to makes its debut at the 2016 Ypres Rally, part of the European Rally Championship, which will be held between June 23 and June 25 in Belgium. The R5 will be the course car for the event, while Hyundai Motorsport's Customer Racing department continues with its testing schedule.
Haydon Paddon in the Hyundai i20 Rally at Rally Mexico in 2015
The goal of testing the new generation i20 R5 at the Belgian Round of the ERC, the fifth round of the season, is to evaluate its performance on tarmac. The car has apparently already been tested on other surfaces in Europe, but the specific challenges that the high speed stages of West Flanders are likely to present will be key towards understanding the car's behaviour. The car that will be tested at Ypres will be an all-new machine, with the Alzenau-based team having prepared a new chassis for the event.
Dani Sordo in the i20 R5 at Rally Mexico last year
While the pictures seen here still show the i20 R5 in camouflage, the car that will be seen at the stages in Ypres, piloted by Hyundai's test and development driver Kevin Abbring, co-driven by Seb Marshall, will feature a special livery designed by a Hyundai Motorsport fan in New Zealand.
Customer Racing department manager Andrea Adamo had this to say of the car making its debut at Ypres: "The Ypres Rally is a pivotal weekend in the New Generation i20 R5 project. The rally is the perfect place for the car to make its public debut. The flat, high speed roads of the rally are quite different from the tarmac tests we have done in recent months. This continues our work to have run the car on various types of stage in order to thoroughly prepare the car."
- NewsNational Racing Championship 2018 : Arjun Narendran dominates the ITC class in Round 3
- News2018 Blancpain GT Series Asia: Aditya Patel and OD Racing finish in the points at Fuji Speedway
- News2018 Baja Aragon: Sherco TVS factory rally team's Michael Metge wins 35th edition of event
- NewsFCA appoints Mike Manley as the new CEO
- NewsEXCLUSIVE: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT to be launched in India in early September
- NewsConfirmed: Bajaj Auto to introduce Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 and Svartpilen 401 motorcycles in India next year
- NewsNew Hyundai Santro/Atos spotted testing again before launch
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Jeet Jhabakh and Dhruv Mohite end Round 2 on a high note
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Saurav Bandyopadhyay wins opening race of Round 2 at MMRT
- NewsSpec comparison: BMW G 310 GS vs Royal Enfield Himalayan FI vs Kawasaki Versys-X 300